Bang

I've still not got it sorted - the rear windscreen on the SD1. Autoglass said there isn't one available new so I set about trying to source a secondhand one. Ebay had one but in N Wales and collection only. There's a complete tailgate with no bids in Oxfordshire but it looks like green or clear rather than bronze glass to me. Rather non committal answer from the seller so I'll give it a miss.

Offers of help from club members, though, so just a case of collecting from the closest. Then Steve, a member, phoned up to say he'd asked a pal in the trade who'd located a new one in seconds - from Autoglass...

So I get back to them as they're the one my insurance company deals with. The lady who answered was very helpful and still had my details. But said they'd checked it against the VIN number and no success. I queried them having the VIN since I'd not given it them and she said they get it from the DVLA database and work to that. I said good luck since Rover didn't...

She phoned back to say they definitely didn't have one so I told her which of their branches had it. She then phoned back again saying it wasn't the correct one as it had a hole for a windscreen wiper. So much for using the VIN - *all* MkII SDIs do and all of my model. She then suggested it might not be the correct shade of bronze. Only one shade I've seen - and only three types anyway, clear, green and bronze. So I'm now waiting for the Croydon branch to phone back with details.

Ain't computers wonderful?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Drives you mad doesn't it? I had a similar thing with my Capri Special a few years ago. Because the screen they had was clear and not bronze tint, they didn't want to fit it.

Reply to
Conor

Where in North Wales, where are you and how urgently do you need it? If it's cheap enough to warrant a spot of pass-the-parcel I may be able to start it on its way.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's not listed anymore - I think before the expiry date so someone was desperate. ;-) (it was a complete set of glass less windscreen)

Thanks for the offer, but I'd guess packing a item this large and delicate for safe ordinary carriage would be costly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or the seller decided it was a nice day to take the shell to the scrappy and CBA to remove the glass. Pity.

I was thinking more of passing it to my father-in-law who drives a van down to Lincolnshire every week, and him passing it to someone else, etc. He's be quite amenable for the odd tenner...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's fixed. Autoglass arrived early and installed what the fitter said was the last new one in the country. At a cost of 400 quid to my insurance company, but 'only' 60 to me. I'd guess they're profiteering - even Rimmer Bros only charge 175 for the new screens they have in stock. Unless a bronze one is actually twice the price of green or clear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I only pay £25 excess - NFU Mutual rock. :-)

Reply to
JackH

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How much is the next guy who needs a bronze one going to be willing to pay...?

Reply to
Adrian

There's no shortage of secondhand ones as they rarely break. Seems it was a faulty heater element that caused mine to go. There's an external heavy gauge wire that runs in parallel with the silver track from the input terminal to about half way along, and it had corroded through so the silver track - which I'd repaired - was taking all the 20 amps or so. All very obvious looking at the new bare screen but not on an installed one where it's hidden by the rubber.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)