Cost of a Rover P6 respray?

Spent the morning looking at a few *ahem* choice examples of P6dom. One of them actually takes my fancy to a certain extent, but it's in bad need of a respray as someone subjected it to a crap home-made jobbie.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much a respray (not concours, just a simple, honest respray without taking out all the glass and stuff) costs for one of these beasts? Also, does someone have a recommendation for a reputable company? I guess I could use the guy I use for my bike restorations, but he's rather expensive - quality work though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'd be worried what the crap re-spray is covering up. Also, if it's a poor job I'd say the preparation would be poor too, so you might end up having to bare metal it. It also has an ally skinned boot and bonnet, and these need special care if the paint is going to stick for any length of time.

It's an easy car to work on body wise, so I'd certainly remove handles, trim, lights, bumpers etc before painting - anything else will look cheap.

Can't help with the price though - it will depend a great deal on how much work needs doing first. A guess would be 1000-1500.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Timo Geusch realised it was Sun, 14 Sep 2003

14:37:11 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

It all depends on what's underneath the 'crap home-made jobbie', what you want to respray it for and how long you want it to last. If you intend to sell the car within a year, any old respray will do. If you want to keep the car for a while, it's nigh on impossible to say what a respray will cost, since you don't know yet what's lurking underneath and you really do want to know now if you want to keep the car for more than about a year.

Rough idea? Between 100 and 1500 quid, I'd say.

Reply to
Yippee

Having looked at the car with Timo this morning, I have to say that it's remarkably solid. No real signs of corrosion in any of the body panels - eg. none of the tell-tale sanding marks where it's been filled etc.

It strikes me that this car has been sprayed at home by someone who has never done it before - it probably looked OK for a year or so - but several years later, there's paint flaking off all over the place.

Sounds about right - unless you can find someone working *cough* cash in hand *cough* with a decent spray booth.

Reply to
SteveH

Depending where about in the country in are? I had a Stag resprayed in Bolton, Lancs. for £150 plus vat.

The guy said the more preparation work you do the better the finish would be, so flatted the original paint with wet and dry paper(can't remember what grade - I think 800 and 1600) took off door handles. lights, etc. He also stated that the respray would be only the panels you can see when the car is parked(i.e. not inside doors, engine bay etc.).

The guy then masked off the car and sprayed the car in a low bake oven booth, when I got the car home I waited a week for paint to fully harden that buffed the paint work using a product called G6 (can't remember make!). The results where truly unbelievable! Six years on the car still comes up well with a polish, and that's a car that is used daily and stored under a car port only!

The only downside was the guy did all the local police vehicles, so you had to leave the car with him and he would fit it in around the police work, although I only had to wait a week to get it back.

Let me know if Bolton is within your area and I will see if I can dig out his number. Also still have photo's of when I first got the car home if you like to see the out come.

Regards

Ian

Reply to
Ian Baird