Does anyone want a free car?

Those who have followed my earlier thread might be interested in what happened next.

I took the 2000 in for its MOT, and they rang me a couple of hours later to say that there was so much wrong with it that it wasn't worth them doing a full MOT, so would I like to pay them a small sum for their time so far and collect the car. Which I did.

But I asked them for a list of what they had found up to the time they stopped, and what it would cost to repair it.

Basically, what they found was rust (and the fact that the handbrake autoadjust had stuck on one wheel - again!). There is rust in the sills, outriggers, one part of the chassis, a couple of small edges of floor, and in both rear wheel arches. Clearly the journeys over salted roads last winter have really taken their toll this year.

When I asked for an estimate to plate the rusty bits, he gave me a figure 8 times what I had in my head based on the last time I had any significant rust repairs done. Clearly, he didn't want to do it and was putting me off. And there isn't enough time left on the old MOT to see if I can find anyone else who might quote me something more reasonable, and then even the best of the quotes might not be worth the money.

So before I take it along to the scrappie, I thought I would see if any budding (or even experienced) restorer wants something to practice welding on. It is a 1973 Triumph 2000 Auto with a rough interior but some original factory fitted optional extras like Cobra wheels and chromed rocker cover, that has been my completely reliable daily driver for the last 23 years. It is drivable, has 2 weeks of last years valid MOT left, and is currently taxed until the end of May. I will take the tax disc off for a refund or you can pay me for the month left and cash it in yourself, but otherwise the car is free if you want it, along with however much petrol is left in the tank on the day it is collected.

I don't plan to scrap it until after 20th April and the MOT runs out on the 24th, so that is the timetable for anyone interested. My e-mail works if you omit the obvious.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Commiserations Jim, especially after running it for 23 years. Before giving it away, don't forget that scrap metal prices are so high at the moment, it'd probably weigh in for 150 pounds or so. I'm not suggesting you weigh it in instead of giving it to a genuine enthusiast, just that you might want to check the motives of the enthusiast first.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

That is what I was expecting. The mechanic reckoned 2 thousand + As I said, it was clearly a deterrent price.

Looking at the Audis and Vauxhalls and Hondas that have been in and out of the place in the few days I have been taking an interest in it, it has turned into a routine service and reset the on-board computer place. I get the impression that real mechanic-ing is too much trouble.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Point taken. But I am only making the offer here, so the probability is that if it is taken up, it will be by an enthusiast.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I spoke to my Dad about this (he's been using Midland Car Co for many years) and he said that they seem to be competent but a bit on the expensive side. "the new guy seems quite competant but Mums MOT was rather expensive but I did get free advice about my brake problems!"

He's not running classics, just 10 yo cars.

As you say, probably just not interested in the welding work.

dan

Reply to
Dan Smithers

That's a shame. At least you've had your moneys worth out of it. TBH,=20 it really doesn't sound that bad but it does need someone with a bit of=20 time to do it - it's definitely something worth doing as a DIY but=20 costly at a garage. What were you quoted? I'd have expected around =A33-

400 tops at worst.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for the info. I don't doubt that they are competent, because they wouldn't have the level of business that I saw otherwise, but looking after classics long term requires a level of affection for old machinery, and I didn't detect any of that.

But at least the MOT on my PI isn't due until August, so I have got the time to research whether there are any better places to take it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I know I'm going to regret this.... where is it?

Reply to
Pete M

It is in Bath - Somerset

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

... why not get another estimate for repairing it? If you were in south west Scotland I could point at just the man, but perhaps someone here can suggest a suitable place near Bath?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I have had a good look underneath over the weekend, and there are a number of areas that look in real need of plating and the sills look like they should be replacements rather than repairs. For somebody with a MIG and plenty of spare time it might be a practical proposition, but in the cold light of day it is probably more effort than the car is worth. The number of man-hours involved, if like me you have to pay for them, makes this look like the end of the road. Bearing in mind that the car is approaching 200,000 miles on the original engine and auto box, I can't say it owes me anything.

It is still galling though, when it starts first time, every time!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren