Dyeing a headliner

Has anyone any experience of dyeing a headliner in situ? Is it even feasible? If so what product to use? Mine is well grotty and as replacement is a glass out job wondered if it is worth attempting to dye it black (it was once cream when it was new...) whilst its in place while I save up for the bare metal windows out respray , at which point it can be replaced.....

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve Loukes

Steve, I have just cleaned up the headliner in my Spitfire hardtop. The start point before cleaning was truly grotty, including bird droppings (from being stored in a barn). The only thing I have used is Fairy Liquid in warm to hottish water and a sponge. Must admit I spent half a day on it, but it has come up more than half decent. The headliner is made of the original very soft porous type vinyl. I had considered painting with emulsion paint, as this has worked historically, on the headlining to a yacht I restored. Might be worth trying similar on a small corner to see what you think. Depending on what your headliner material is, another option might be vinyl paint.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

Dulux Emulsion works a treat but brush it out well with a 2 inch brush!

Reply to
Colin Doncaster