finishing paintwork with clear coat

I would be rubbing down the clear coating with 1200 wet and dry, (with some detergent in the water) see if you have removed the scratches - then buff the car or put another coat of clear over what you have rubbed back, then buff it.

Reply to
Rob.

At some time in the past my classic has been resprayed and finished with a clear lacquer coat. I have no experience working with this. There are numerous small scratches, mostly only through the lacquer, but a few have marked the paint. Can I spray paint on top of the lacquer, or is it likely to peel. I am looking at lots of small scratches, so may have to do two complete half- wing panels. Pete C

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

This might be of interest to you.

restoring car paintwork hope it helps

Aaron

Reply to
www.classiccarhub.co.uk

By the time you cut back the oxidation you have a very big chance of rubbing through the paint into the base coat.

The clear coat may not be compatible with the original paint and you will have differing expansion and contraction another cause of cracking and peeling.

Seems good in theory but otherwise!

To address the scratching problem the use of Autoglym products maybe the answer. Renovator and hard polish etc see their site.

Rob