Help with spot painting

recent purchased a 76 mg midget and the previous owner has placed some sort of industrial strength tape over a couple of small sections on the door panels (4" square) and the lip of the hood. It seems like it was an attempt to cover up areas where the original paint was strached up rather than covering rust. I would like to peel the tape off and paint the areas but I have no experience painting a car. I was planning on simply removing the tape and old paint with one of those metal brush/drill attachments and then purchase some auto touch-up paint and clear coat on-line. Any thoughts or good sources of info on how to do this. Thanks, Doug

Reply to
bohacks

1st off don't use your wire brush - you'll ruin the surface! For enamel based paint, use 400 grit wet-sanding paper, for lacquers use 600 grit wet-sanding paper. Wet-sand until you begin seeing the (primer) layers. You want to see a half-inch of primer and about an inch of paint - measuring from the bare metal to the paint.

Use a light coat of primer and then paint.

Take into account: you cannot paint lacquer on top of enamels.However, you can paint on top lacquer, using enamel based paint!.

Reply to
Daryl Bryant