I have some scratches in my clear coat (have not reach the actual paint).

I have some scratches in my clear coat (have not reach the actual paint). Just wondering how to take them out. Anyone tried these touch up pencils. I have used some special polishing compound (don't remember the name) that has helped a lot (borrowed from auto body shop). Also, used 2000 grit sand paper and then some 2001 turtle wax. Doing all this was improved most of the spots by 80%. But I still have a few bad spots and I don't want to over do it with sand paper. So, I was just wondering if anyone has tried these pencils or any other fix it kits they sell at the automotive store. Do any of the really work? I imagine half the battle it skill and good technique? Thanks

Reply to
lbbs

BK24

Those touch up pencils don't work. It will be back next time you go through the car wash.

Find someone on your phone book that (fills in the chip or scratch) rather than paint the whole panel. There is a new market for skilled people with an airbrush. Locally we have one place and most dealers have him airbrush fill in the chips and scratches with matching paint and buff it out. You cannot tell it has been done on all but the very worst marks.

David

Reply to
David