Garage vs Car Cover

There is a way around the sill welding problem with my two poster.

Mine was designed for Porsche repairs, each post is offset, so you have almost full access to the length of each sill.

In other words the drivers side post is next to the rear passenger door (C pillar), the nearside post is at the passenger side A pillar.

The arms are of two different lengths on each side.

Hydraulic lines connect two rams, there is nothing on the floor between the posts, everything goes overhead.

This is the only two post of this design I have ever seen.

The only other interesting design I have seen recently is a single post side lift , that gave fantastic access for sills .

For domestic use an end lift of the type used in Chelsea garages would be good as it doubles your parking area as well as being very narrow.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Securing bolts are optional; just ask Krusty's dad.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You mean one of these?

How does that work then? You drive on forwards/backwards and the arms extend away from the post down the length of the car?

I take it it has to be engine end closest to the post to aid balance? Wouldn't that affect access to the underside of the engine?

Reply to
Elder

AFAIK, a single post lift is usually used to lift one corner of a car at a time.

Reply to
SteveH

But that one has 4 lifting pads and a platform, with adustable arms for the pads? Which suggests lifting the whole car.

Unless it can lift from one side with the platform under the centre of the chassis/floor pan.

Reply to
Elder

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.N. Robinson" saying something like:

Cool - an electrical flywheel. If it actually works, that is.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:eg8kh6$pb8$ snipped-for-privacy@emma.aioe.org...

I was concerned about the ability of single phase motors to start under load, particularly the cheapo motors of the type sold by Machine Mart and the like. The auxiliary motor idea for three phase applications is, aiui, usually used with the old type of capacitor-based converter. I used a Variable Frequency Drive, which can do all sorts of clever things like ramping up the speed at a pre-set rate, but needs a motor which can be connected in delta.

As for 1,2, or 4-post: I don't think there's a single "right answer". I do find I quite often use a bottle jack on the ramp, say to hold a patch in place while I weld it or to partly compress suspension.

Reply to
Autolycus