have you seen this bumper ?

As part of the rolling restoration of one of my Jaguars, I recently picked up a job lot of bumpers which includes a couple which I don’t need.

It has been suggested to me that they are from a Jag 420, but there’s not too many of them around to make any sensible comparison.

The front one looks like this:

and the rear looks like this

They both look like they need overriders - and there is nothing to say that they both belong on the same vehicle.

They are probably of some use to somebody, so I was thinking of getting rid of them on eBay - but I need to know what they are first.

Assuming that the dropbox links are working, is anybody able to shed any light on the matter ?

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Your dropbox links did work. I am not a Jaguar person so I can't suggest which model(s) they might fit, and there are not many good pictures of the 420 on-line.

I did find a picture of a front

it doesn't look as though the depressed area in the middle is in my picture and the taper on the extreme ends doesn't look the same, but the position of the overrider holes does look about right.

Pictures of the rear are even harder to find but I did find this picture

it looks at though the overrider holes are in the right place for a Jaguar but the angle on the bend doesn't look quite right.

My conclusion is that they are almost certainly Jaguar, but they might not be the 420. Can the person you bought the job lot from tell you what model they came from?

My suggestion is to put them on ebay as two separate listings because you can't be sure that the front and back fit the same model. If you list them as part of a job lot advertised as Jaguar parts, which you bought because of the parts that you needed to restore your own classic and you are selling on the parts that are no use to you but are in very good condition. Admit that you don't know exactly which model the part is for and ask bidders to be sure they want to buy it before making an offer because you will not accept returns.

I would be inclined to put measurements on the photos too, so that potential buyers can compare them with their own bumpers, which will give them less excuse to argue they bought in good faith.

Good luck - and be free to ignore this suggestion if someone else replies with a better one.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Pretty much the first thing I thought of.

He said he inherited it all when he took over a rented lock up garage and that it was all there, along with a load of other stuff when he moved in.

He managed to correctly identify a pair of Mark 2 bumpers, because they are both quite distinctive, so advertised it as a lot "including Mk 2 bumpers" - He insisted that he was not going to split the lot, so effectively passed the problem on to me

Thats probably what I will end up doing, although I am going to try a couple of the forums / owners clubs first.

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Yes, I've seen that bumper! It's definitely eye-catching and adds a unique touch to the vehicle. Love the design!"

Reply to
David Warner