Waterless Engine Coolant

Has anybody tried this? Is it as good as it is made out to be? TIA.

Reply to
Davey

I have not tried it myself - I have stuck with Bluecol in a severe winter concentration and have never had a coolant problem.

I found a few reviews and the main benefit of waterless is that it is just antifreeze with anti-corrosion additives so that it boils at 190C so if you have a car that regularly overheats you won't lose coolant as steam, and you don't have to be extra-careful removing the radiator cap when the engine is hot.

The warnings are:

If there is more than 3% residual water in the system there is no point is using waterless coolant because it won't work as intended. So you have to go through a cleansing purge of the cooling system before you change to waterless.

Waterless lasts a lot longer than conventional antifreeze, but it costs a lot more. It also creeps through tiny leaks and through paper gaskets, so if you are suffering from any of these already you are going to lose waterless coolant faster.

I found an American article:

Then it is make your mind up time!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

That is interesting. I need to replace my leaky block drain plug, which will mead a full drain-down anyway, and I was wondering whether to use the waterless stuff. Hmm. Thnanks.

Reply to
Davey