What happened to my PT bumper??

The rear bumper on my 2001 PT Cruiser bumper is getting lighter in color in spots. But these spots are very symetric. It looks like these areas were masked very neatly and then the rest of the bumper darkened in color. Then the masking tape was removed and the lighter spots exposed.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Those are the tape marks. The bumpers are masked for shipping and years later the marks of the tape used to secure the masking is showing up. It is a common problem with the PT Cruiser and if you are out of warranty, you are most likely out of luck in getting Chrysler to cover the correction.

Reply to
Carl Keehn

The rear bumper on my 2001 PT Cruiser bumper is getting lighter in color in spots. But these spots are very systemic. It looks like these areas were masked very neatly and then the rest of the bumper darkened in color. Then the masking tape was removed and the lighter spots exposed. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Tom in PA - Yours is the first 2001, I've heard about, that has this problem. I've been to a lot of PT car shows and most PT's with that 'tape residue-like' are the 2002's.

I have a 2002 PT and lately I've started to see that 'tape residue-like' on both of my bumpers. I went to my dealer to see if they knew how it can be fixed. They sent to the detail shop. Even their detail man had no idea what it was and how to get rid of it. He did try, but it's still there.

I talked to, I think, a representative from Chrysler, and it was suggested that if everyone with this type of problem contact Chrysler. Maybe there will be a "recall-type" on the bumpers.

The representative suggested that I take my PT to my dealer and have some pictures taken. Then when the district representative. shows up, to my dealership. they will show the representative the pics. What will happen from there-- I'll keep everyone posted. It will probably be around next year when, if any, action is taken. Even the representative I talk to didn't know if my "bumper-to-bumper" warranty will cover this problem since it's a cosmetic problem.

I belong to a PT Cruiser club, one of our members had this problem. He was able to have his bumper painted the same color as his car. Like the 2003's & 2004's. To be honest with you, I don't want that. I like the different color bumper. And I don't want the chrome bumper.

JAN - OHIO

Reply to
JAN - OHIO

Isn't it amazing all the nick picking things that can go wrong with a car...

[...]

Art

Who said otherwise. It is just amazing how many things can get screwed up on a car.

I'll try to remember for next time.

Reply to
Art

I can probably name several dozen people I know personally and can direct you to several PT forums where you will read, that in fact there are many

2001 PT's that have this tape mark problem. One of those PT's is mine.

=====================================

[...]

CopperTop

No, you didn't cause the problem, however as a rule, recalls are issued for safety related matters. A tape mark is not safety related. If your car is out of warranty you have the choice of living with the tape marks or paying for it.

Reply to
Carl Keehn

The rear bumper on my 2001 PT Cruiser bumper is getting lighter in color in spots. But these spots are very systemic. It looks like these areas were masked very neatly and then the rest of the bumper darkened in color. Then the masking tape was removed and the lighter spots exposed. ==============================

so far my 2001 cranberry PT 5 speed (40K and 39 months old)) shows no sign of tape marks on the bumper. However on a slightly more IMPORTANT picking of NITS.............. BOTH ISSUES that the dealer corrected about a year ago are so far stable.

  1. PT shutting off at any speed (inconvient at 60 to 70 MPH), not re-starting for many turns on the key, dead in the garage, and being un-reliable has been solved by a "control module"
  2. 2 out of 4 ignition wires not conducting enough power for full power on any application of the gas pedal. Dealer changed ALL 4 wires and 4 new plugs, and the mileage (actually on a very careful and only highway run) achieved 30.24 MPG, as well as a drop in RPM required to maintain 65 MPH. As an aside, drove a NEW 2005 PT TURBO (225 HP) CONVERTIBLE in S. CALIF, Dealer asked me not to PUNCH the pedal as it had on 3MILES on the odometer. Just nudging the pedal produced an impressive response. Damn near bought it, but with the top up and parked in the shade, it was very dark inside the car. I live in OREGON, on the beach and we get a lot of gloom, fog, rain and a "flip top" is very impractible here. Will eventually look for an LE (moonroof a necessity) and 220 HP turbo. ALSO happily with the "black/gray" bumper, as the painted ones are going to be prone to scratching.
Howard

Before buying a grey bumper car, take a look of one on the road driving towards you or away from versus the same car with a matching bumper. In my opinion, matching bumpers make a car more visable and may help avoid accidents. I have no statistics for it but take a look at cars with damaged bumpers. Most are black or grey non-matching bumpers. I find it unlikely that everyone with matching bumpers get their cars fixed and everyone with black or grey bumpers don't.

Reply to
Art

Well look on the bright side, you don't have to stare at these marks when you are driving, and you otherwise like your PT, so by the time you sell it, it is unlikely these marks will make any difference to the resale value.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

____Reply Separator__ I don't consider this nit picking.* These marks weren't there when I bought the car, and their presence now is not a fault of mine. I think it should be corrected at no cost to me. And I also like the different colored bumper.

___TED __Your Reply Separator__ Well look on the bright side, you don't have to stare at these marks when you are driving, and you otherwise like your PT, so by the time you sell it, it is unlikely these marks will make any difference to the resale value. Ted

___My Reply___ I beg to differ with you, on the idea of "no difference on the resale value". In a side by side comparison -

1) One PT Cruiser has the "tape-residue" bumpers 2) The other PT Cruiser does not have the "tape-residue" bumpers. Both cars are identical -- the same color, inside and outside. The same options. The same after market add ons. Even the miles are identical. Everything is identical, except for one item. The bumpers - one has the "tape-residue" and the other does not.

Which one would you buy???? Now be honest, which one??? You would buy the one without the "tape-residue" bumpers. You say, how do I know this?? I know this because, that would be the one I would buy. And so would other people.

So, there goes your theory about the "tape-residue" bumpers not affecting the resale value. Number 1 car - is not a sale. Number 2 car - is a sale.

Sometime when you are at a shopping mall parking lot, look at some PT Cruisers. Find one with the "tape-residue" bumpers and find one without. And ask yourself, which one would I buy??? And honestly answer that question. You would buy the one without the "tape-residue" bumpers.

JAN

Reply to
JAN - OHIO

If the owner of the one with the tape residue were making as big a fragging deal over a little thing like that as you are I would definitely buy that one - because anybody that was so anal-retentive about a tiny thing like that I would be well assured would have done a good job about keeping the vehicle maintained.

I don't buy used cars solely on the external looks. Sure external looks count for something, but what is much more important is vehicle maintainence. And no matter how much you try to hide it, you cannot hide inattention to maintainence to a knowledgeable buyer.

You are quite obviously a new car buyer because you simply don't understand how used car buyers think. I doubt you have ever bought a used car in your life. New car buyers are the ones rolling marbles down the seams checking for the fit of the panels, and making a BFD over stuff like tape marks on bumpers. Thank God I don't have to worry about that crapola when I'm buying my vehicles and I can pay attention to the things that actually matter - like whether the thing is going to actually run another 30K miles or whether it's engine is about ready to dump a bucket of oil all over the street.

Ignore the tape marks and maintain your vehicle - wax it, wash it, repair small dents, repair glass cracks, touchup it's paint, change oil at $3K miles, get it looked at immediately if there's the slightest bit of trouble, buy good tires for it, keep it garaged, take it in for it's scheduled services and keep the receipts for them, and I promise you, when it comes time to sell it, if you have done that, nobody will give a crap about the tape marks.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt