Help ..Timing info for 1275cc A series conversion?

Hi,

Has anyone ever converted a late 1.3SPi 1275 Mini engine to normally aspirated with electronic ignition? I have just fitted a modern A series with HIF44, K&N air filter, LCB and

2" exhaust. It has the dizzy replaced with a Metro 42664A distributor (the one with the electronic ignition module on it's side). However I would like to know what the timing point for this setup is. The Haynes manual says 13 degrees for a 1275. The Rover manual for the (non SPi version of this) engine says 5 Degrees! It can't pull the skin off a rice pud @ 5 degrees and seems much better at 13, but not 'full of urgency' like I expected. If anyone has either done this conversion successfully or has some genuine figures I would be very grateful!

In anticipation....Dave

Reply to
Dave Bullock

Just keep advancing it until light pinking is heard under load then back off a fraction....

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Dave Bullock

as soon as you move away from standard then figures go out the window. for instance 36 degrees of static advance really suit a rover v8 if you are using it on the track, standard is probably about minus 3

keep advancing till it feels right and keep it just before pinking with cheap petrol, then use some good stuff, this way you will be safe if you are away and have to put some supermarket petrol in.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Try

a forum frequented by some very knowledgable Mini people like the Calvers and AC Dodd.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

If you're into re-curving a diz then you'll probably need the services of an expert in rolling road tuning. Got to be easier using a fully programmable ECU than messing around with springs & bobweights?

Reply to
Phil

In message , Phil writes

I agree about the programmable ignition controller. I have my front pulley (1275 type with the big mass damping ring) down at Morspeed in Coalville at the moment having it machined to give a 36-1 tooth outer section to give a signal to feed a Ford EDIS front end and a 'Megasquirt Lite Junior' control unit. It'll be interesting to see how well it works on a Mini.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

In message , Chris Morriss writes

Duh!! The ignition controller is a MegaJolt. (I have a Megasquirt but that's for EFI).

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Reply to
David Billington

In message , David Billington writes

At the moment they're machining the 36 'teeth'. I'll then temporarily put the pulley on the crank and work out exactly where to put the sensor. Once I've got the sensor mounting sorted out I'll grind off one of the teeth at the right point so that the sensor reference point is 90 degrees before TDC (as the EDIS unit requires).

I'm only using it for road use so I doubt (and hope of course!) that the change in balance won't matter too much. Morspeed have a front pulley machined this way on their demonstrator car with a BMW K1100 twin-cam head on it. I'll have a word with Simon at Morspeed when I pick the machined pulley up to see if there's likely to be any balancing worries.

Reply to
Chris Morriss