series to defender axle conversion

hiya,

just doing this conversion and was wondering if anyone has done this , ( ive stripped the defender axle of all its shocker/panard rod fixings and replaced them with leaf mountings.)

im finding that the axle is protruding to one side more than the other when ive lined the leaf mountings exactly as they are on a series axle

does the props on a lt77 defender line up exactly the same as series props, it seems that to get the wheels in line the props/diff/axle is going to hve to be moved to the right by 3 to 4 inches thus giving me a sticky out wheel.

also starting to wonder if ive got a disco axle instead of a defender one.

if i get the axle number can anyone tell me what its off???

Andy

Reply to
Andy

On or around Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:35:40 +0100, Andy enlightened us thusly:

you need to line it up based on wheel positions, not propshafts. I expect you'll find they don't line up the same.

BTW, I hope you're not mixing series and defender/disco/RR axles, as the diff ratios are different, and it *really* won't work with a series 'box, nor will it allow of use of difflock with a more modern transfer box such as the LT230.

You should get sticky-out wheels both sides... the track on the

90/110/disco/RR is wider than on the series LRs. AFAIK, the 90/disco/RR al use broadly the same axles, but the 110 uses a Salisbury rear.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

cheers Austin,

if the props not in line wont i eat them.

just to clarify,,,, i have to line axle up in relation to equa-distance of sticky out wheels Not keeping the prop in line.

ive got 3.5 diffs in both axles altho the rear is still a series one for now.

does this sound better.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

On or around Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:18:18 +0100, Andy enlightened us thusly:

depends how much not-in-line they are.

you want the wheels to be equi-distant from the centreline of the chassis either side, really, and you also want, obviously, the axles perpendicular to the centreline of the chassis.

You may need to mess with propshaft lengths once you've done it, and remember that the propshafts have still got to reach with the axle at it's lowest travel.

well, better than different ratios each end :-) Mind, if you had a transfer box with a centre diff (and didn't lock it) you could achieve a mild torque bias by having a lower ration diff at the back. dunno what it'd do in terms of wear to the centre diff though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles