Hey

Hi,

As a first post I thought I'd let you know two things. First off, I'm a total classic newbie. I really have no idea at all about how a car works, or about how to restore it (But I am really eager to learn!)

Second of all, I love VW beetles. I've always thought that classic cars have way more character then the mundane new ones that are just spurted out of the industry every year.

So basically, I'm here to learn all I can ^_^

Looking forward to meeting you all,

-Cat

Reply to
Gwydion Alun

"Gwydion Alun" wrote in news:SnrVg.2672$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

Never admit it. Just frown and look knowledgeable. Stroke beard. ;-)

Not trying to put you off this group at all, but have a look at uk.rec.cars.volkswagen.aircooled as well.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

S'pose it'd be a bit uncharitable to suggest the two are connected. So I won't.

Sy'mae Gwydion.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke wrote in news:4on8h0Fe7qf2U1 @individual.net:

Shh!

Reply to
Richard Polhill

and rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Reply to
Phil

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Would you like me to do it for you?

Reply to
Adrian

Good news. VW Beetles are built like tanks and parts availability is extremely good.

Bad news. They aren't simple cars. VW refined them almost continuously from the start, and as a result they are much more sophisticated in design than you might think (the 2CV is also like that). This means that some things are quite complicated: although changing the pistons, cylinders and heads is ridiculously easy, a crankcase rebuild is much harder than, say, a Herald or Minor. Likewise, gearbox rebuilds are not for the inexperienced. Or even the experienced, really.

That said, though, Beetles are great fun, and a good way to learn about maintaining a classic, if not restoring one. So buy a good one and enjoy it.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Aaah the good old days. Removing engines with just a spanner and a sack barrow, heater pipes rusting and filling the car with carbon monoxide, pattern parts that don't fit, wheel nuts undoing themselves on the back. Makes you come over all nostalgic doesn't it?

Reply to
georgina Smith

Get yourself off to your local college and enrol in an evening class=20 doing basic vehicle maintenance.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor