Shelby GT500 clone

Hi folks.

I have been a HUGE fan of the looks of the '67-'68 Shelby GT500's (who isn't?). I'm very interested in getting a hold of a clone that I can actually drive rather than an investment into an authentic car. The problem is I'm not really sure where to start with this ...

So, where does one go to find something like this? Should I be looking for a car that has already been restored/cloned or would I be better off getting a '67/'68 fastback that I could have restored to my specs?

Secondly, is it reasonable to expect I'll be able to find one in my area (AZ) or will I have to travel to find what I'm looking for? Other than the local paper/auto trader where does one look for cars and/or reputable shops that could do the restoration I'd be looking for?

Thanks for any and all advice you could offer!

Reply to
Link King

Any full restoration with Shelby repro parts and a performance engine is going to cost you at least 25 to 30 grand on top of the cost of buying the base car. Is that in your budget?

Best place for parts is here:

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

My initial guestimate on budget was about $25k total but is somewhat flexible relative to what I can get. My real concern is where to start looking. Being a complete newbie to classic mustang shopping I'm uncomfortable simply throwing cash at something that I think *looks* good.

Thanks, I'll bookmark it!

Reply to
Link King

What part of AZ are you in?

Reply to
CobraJet

I'm up in Cave Creek/North Scottsdale ... Essentially the Phoenix area.

Reply to
Link King

I suggest getting involved with the local Mustang club to learn more about these cars before you embark on this project.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Good idea. I'll do that.

Any suggestions on companies in the Phoenix metro area that can help procure and restore what I'm looking for?

Reply to
Link King

Being a 67 GT350 (sorry, no BB here) owner I can suggest that if your willing to shell out a lot of money for a Shelby clone undertaking then why not consider a driver condition real McCoy. I tend to think the bottom line/actual cost will not be as far apart as you may think. When all is said and done you will have a REAL 67 Shelby (which will retain its value) as opposed to a CLONE (no matter how much you spend it will always be just that--a clone!) Think about it!! J Burke

Reply to
Jos. Burke

Thanks for the advice. I actually am considering it but two things concern me. First, to get in my price range I'd likely have to settle for a GT350 and I really want the beefier engine of the GT500. Second, don't you think that driving the real deal on a fairly regular basis will devalue it about as much as a clone would lose value?

-Link

Reply to
Link King

Maybe you should drive both-Well at least a HiPo powered 67 Mustang and Well good luck on the other. Actually the drivability is my main reason for a GT350 for me. No the GT350 is far from bad to the bone BUT is a really nice cruiser as the BB is not the ideal choice for a handling car. While both lack in the handling dept. by todays standards to put it mildly, both can be upgraded/modified to perform a great deal better with the SB being the better choice--in my opinion at least. With a little research you'll find the 67 GT350 as the number one choice of all Shelby models in terms of drivability consistently over the years. The

Reply to
Jos. Burke

That's what you would find out by hanging out with the club members. Plus, you can look at their cars up close and decide whether you like the finished product. This really is the best way to do what you want to do.

There is someone out near me that has an excellent reputation for restoring all brands of 50's and 60's cars. But that is putting the horse before the cart, if you pardon the pun. Go hang out in the club a little and come up with a written game plan for your car so you can stay organized. Someone named Laurie S. posts in here. She is a member of the Tucson branch of the CSM Club, and might clue you in more. Her website has a nice '68 restomod with a 390 in it that she is wrapping up.

For the best Ford machine shop in your area, look to Sunny Slope Auto on N. Central.

If you plan on utilizing an FE in your 500 clone, be aware of the AHPBBFM newsgroup. That is "alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury".

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

My favorite place to survey the market for old cars is

. This is a compilation ofall the ads running in all the Auto Trader weeklies across thecountry. Do a search for Shelby clone, etc., and see what you get. My favorite place for advice and support for working on old Mustangs is the Vintage Mustang Forum at vintage-mustang.com. I'd advise just to hang out there for awhile before you take any kind of plunge. Even after three years of screwing around with a '70 Cougar, then getting started with a '65 Mustang fastback, I learned things on VMF that I wish I had known before making certain choices on my cars.

The main thing is not to plunge in blindly. Maybe if you're plunging in for a right-priced gennie GT500 you could not go wrong, but for a clone you can spend alot of money really quickly and live to regret it if you choose badly.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Thanks for the links, they're quite helpful. I'm definitely not going to be plunging into this. I'm in the information gathering stage trying to soak up as much data/opinions/specs/etc. that I can. I'm not actually a complete newb to restoring mustangs as my Dad and I did a complete restoration of a '66 coupe back when I was 17. Was a GREAT car and wish I would of kept it ...

If anyone else has advice please throw it out there ;) Otherwise, I've got a bunch of research to work on. Thanks again folks.

-Link

Reply to
Link King