Hey Ya'll!

Thought I would jump in and introduce myself. I'm located in west Tennessee, only been here a couple of years though.

After about ten years of driving Mustangs traded off my 98 Cobra drop top for a 2005 Liberty Limited 4x4 . I traded in my California car for something more regionally correct. The swap down about 100 horses will be something of a stutter for a bit but I will get used to it.

In earlier days I have owned two CJs and this time chose the Liberty for comfort, style and versitility. I am looking forward to trying out that last color option - Mud and doing some exploring.

I'm really interested in what modifications folks are doing with their Libertys, particularly in power, but I do plan to take it out and go exploring this beautiful part of the country.

Oh! I should add - I am a chubby, 40 something, outspoken, opinionated, Irish woman who is the mother of three, grandma to one and a usually a republican. I have been around cars and trucks all of my life for fun and sport and worked in the automotive industry for many years.

Looks like there is a lot to learn in here!

Reply to
Kate

Welcome to the group Kate - there really is alot of excellent resources here and they will correct the ones that are not so excellent ;-)

Reply to
jaco
2" Spacer lift, new shocks, sway bar discos and a set of Goodyear MT/R's, you'll do OK.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Welcome the the madhouse Kate! =)

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Before you do anything else get a set of skid plates. If you rip off your oil pan, transfer case, transmission, or gas tank no other modification will matter.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Welcome aboard.

I don't know what folks are doing for raising clearance, but skid plates are the best first investment as you likely remember from the CJ days. At least the CJ's 'came' with oil pan skid plates and nice tranny/t-case and gas tank skids.

Tow hooks are a good second thing.

Mike

Kate wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Tell us more about your Liberty's current setup.

Have you a build sheet? If not you can get one via e-mail from Jeep or at any Jeep parts counter at no charge. All you will need is the VIN number.

In the back you can use a trailer hitch for the tow hook.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Kate,

You will probably get some flak about your KJ not being a 'real' Jeep. But then neither was my XJ or my current WJ.

After some initial razzing you will get a lot of information here. Most will be good and as another Jeeper said the bad information will get a lot of comments and corrections.

Don't be afraid or reluctant to ask 'stupid' questions as there are plenty of people wondering the same thing.

No one here was born an expert, they all learned from someone else and by trial and error.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Ordered them the day I picked it up, they will be on this coming week, :)

: -- Kate

2O|||||||O5 Liberty

: > Carl : >

[...]

: >> -- : >> Kate : >> 2O|||||||O5 Liberty : >>

: >>

: >>

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

I have the tow hooks (front and rear) next on my wish list. Looks like i am thinking in the right direction Phew!

Reply to
Kate

Sorry... for... what? did you break wind? ;¬D

Reply to
Kate

Thanks Billy Ray. I rather suspected this would be the case. I know it isn't what many consider a serious off roader but I plan to have some fun with it.

I don't think I am going to do any extreme rock climbing with it, or putting a huge lift, or cutting the fenders off or anything like that. It only has 100 miles on it and still needs to be broken in.

I considered other options, but this is the best for my lifestyle. I'm no soccer mom, but I do need to haul my grandson now and then, so I sacrificed my Cobra for this. It had better be fun or else.

I'm used to getting ribbed and usually can handle it. When I get so I can't I say so.

Reply to
Kate

Ok, here is what I have. The important parts:

3.7 V6, auto tranny (I did that on purpose, tired of shifting) Command-Trac Part time 4wd, 3.73 rear end, 17x7.5 wheels with Goodyear P235/65R17 tires. I got it with the Limited package 28G and a gob of other goodies that really have no effect on the vehicle as far as being a 4 wheeler.

I have the skid plated on order, they should be on by Wednesday. next I am getting tow hooks put on it. From there... I am not too sure. I have to get used to it. Hell I haven't even activated the Sirius radio yet or tried the disk changer.

What I AM interested in is how to goose up this six banger for some more horsepower without voiding my warranty.

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ok, then I will need steps, cause I am not that tall, but that's ok!

new shocks, but, but, but these ARE new. Why do you say that AND what setup do you think is good and why?

sway bar discos HUH ?? I know what a sway bar is, but I thought disco was dead!

and a set of Goodyear MT/R's, I have GoodYear tires on it now, why the MTRs ?

: you'll do OK. Thanks! :¬D

Reply to
Kate

Thanks Jaco, I have been lurking a little, Looks like there is pleanty to go around.

Reply to
Kate

Hey now! I've done my share of pointing and giggling.

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

Which Goodyear tires did you get? I am guessing Wrangler HPs which are a ..... fair ... street tire but you won't be getting too far off-road with those.

The MT/Rs that Carl mentioned are off-road mud tires and it sounds like you would have little need for them.
If possible you might see if you can get the dealer to swap you a set of All Terrain tires. They all have a deal with a local tire company although the swapping is easier done before the sales papers are signed. At the very least the ATs will give you better winter performance.
Everyone has their own favorite tire manufacturer, BFG is popular here but not universal (I have Kumho Venture AT-825s on my Grand Cherokee, see chart above)

Depending on how high you lift your Liberty you might need new (longer) shocks or shock extensions.

The 'discos' are sway bar disconnects. You need to disconnect the sway bar for full articulation off-road but you don't sound to be planning that either.

A towing point front and rear is important off-road so if you get stuck someone can pull you out without endangering your axles or body. (The KJ's not yours) A trailer receiver counts as a rear tow point and allows the addition of additional carriers, etc. that may be of interest now or in the future. If money is a consideration you only 'need' one tow hook in the front.

Take a look at Bill's video. The KJ got stuck because of design limitations and driver inexperience. The passenger rear tire spun because it had little traction and the standard differential will allow the tire with less traction to spin freely and the tire with traction to remain still. You can 'remedy' the open differential by applying the brakes while giving it gas. The resistance from the brake will often trick the differential into thinking both tires have equal traction. If you were just ordering the KJ now you could add the posi-traction option that does this automatically. It is not as good as a true 'locker' but is much better than nothing. The driver should also have been further to the left, ALWAYS select your line when given the chance.

While you are at it get a set of substantial rubber floor mats to replace the carpeted ones that came from the factory. Your KJ isn't like your old CJ where you could just go to the carwash with the top off to clean the interior.

I am not sure how many people in this newsgroup have experience with the 3.7 liter V-6 engine as it is fairly new but I am sure some of them know where to look and call for good information

Reply to
Billy Ray