How long is a piece of string?

This is one of the best NGs ever but after my last post regarding my dynamo it is obvious that some of you have too much time on your hands. I have devised a problem to divert your excess creative energy:

I want to do the string thing on the steering wheel of my '36 MG but I've never done it before, any tips?

Who can tell me how much string I will need? The diameter of the wheel is 17inches, the diameter of the rim is 1" and there are 4 spokes, each 1 1/4" wide where it joins the rim. The string diameter will be 3/32" No conferring and you should show all working out, use a separate piece of paper if you have to. You may use a calculator, but only for scratching your arse. You may start now.

Reply to
Pete W

In theory. 135.25 ft Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

But Murphy's law states that anything cut to length is too short, so add a bit...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Reply to
Mad Ejit

It'll probably be too long, as winding it very tightly will stretch it. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Pete, everyone knows that it's twice as long as the middle to the end.

Ken

1981 TR7 DHC 1974 Stag
Reply to
Ken Forrest

When you stretch it, the cross section of the string gets narrower, so you get a few more turns around the circumference of the wheel. :-) Murphy is rarely wrong.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Well two housemarks to Mike G for speed and another two for doing it in the middle of the night. It shows that, as I have told all my girlfriends, I can manage perfectly with jus one ball.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

"Mad Ejit" wrote in news:hXQ5f.11333 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

He was reincarnated as a piece of string.

Reply to
Richard Polhill