Will a 205 tire *really* fit in the rear of a beetle?

I have a 73 standard Beetle, and have been busy upgrading the suspension and chassis. The time has come for larger wheels and tires. I'm decambering the front suspension, and the car has front and rear sway bars.

New wheels will be 15 X 5.5" with an offset of +35mm (that's stock offset for a 73, isn't it?)

I'm putting 185/65/15 tires on the front; I've taken some measurements, and have gotten some comments on such a tire fitting, as long as it's on a wider wheel. So that looks like it's all good.

However, for the rear, people have given me varied opinions on what size tire to use. I *want* to use a 205/60/15. I have had correspondence with several people on this board who say it works, and have done it themselves. However, nobody who actually owns a 73 beetle and have done this have talked to me...if there are even any on this board.

Will a 205/60 tire fit in the rear? IRS suspension, of course. There are two spots where I'm concerned it will rub. The body to frame bolt in the rear fender well, and the spring plate bolts. The current 165 tire is only about 1.5 inches away from these items. (guessing on that distance, but it looks about right.) The offset of the new wheels, as I mentioned ealier, is +35 MM. That *should* be plenty to keep the tire away from the fender lip, but not push it in to far; to close to the body. I think +35 is the offset for the stock rims the car has on it now. If I'm correct, keeping the same offset while switching to a wider wheel will evenly distribute the extra width on both sides. Will the 205 *just* fit in?

Thanks for any replies!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

These fit in the rear of my '63... The only place it would have rubbed was the fenders, but that was easy enough to get around. Of course I did NOT have "IRS" suspension (did, actually, but not in the way you mean)...

are 31" truck tires, by the way. 11.5" wide.

Reply to
Shaggie

...................I doubt that they'll rub you will be effectively running in a 'lower' gear with the smaller diameter 205/60-15 tires. Also, I'd think that 205/60's should have at least a 6" wide wheel. 6 1/2 or even 7 would be even better for that tire.

............I run 205/65-15's on 5 1/2" wide wheels on the rear of my '77 bug. They have the correct diameter in comparison with the 165's and they don't ever rub. They do look a little 'pinched in' at the rim but it's not very noticeable. The 205/60's would have a very noticeable 'pinched in' look on a 5 1/2" wide wheel. This might even cause them to handle and wear poorly.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I just went out to my garage and double checked my '70 standard and I'm running 205/60/14 all four corners, front lowered all the way, no problems, however they are 14" not

15"

Douglas

Beware as one guy said his looks a bit pinched on the smaller rims. I crashed a 914 because I used larger tires then the rim could handle. What happens is if you take a turn too fast and have a incorrect width rim, the rubber moves and the movement can break the car loose from the pavement. I was doing 60 and wrecked the car, took down 90 feet for cable guard rail and pole. The stick came off in my hand. Lucky all I had was seat belt bruses to my chest. I have a very fast highway car and cruise at 80 all the time. 74 bug with a 2000 cc 914 worked. So I looked at what the Kafer Cup racers use in Europe on their cars and 195 all around was norm. Wider then normal on correct rims for ideal performance. My Car by the way has 2

1/2" creative car craft fenders all around and 2 1/2" dropped front end. With the dropped front end these tires rubbed on turns, especially with a passenger. Now with the wider fenders no problems. Hay check out the photos

Joe Cali Next generation

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

I don't know if they will fit, but as others suggested, the 5 1/2" rim is too smal for the 205s. For better handling, 185/65/15 is the wider tire you should fit in those rims.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos