inertia starter Lucas M35J spitfire? mini? same?

Trying to find out if the starter motors from a mini/spitfire 1500 are interchangeable? - I vaiguely remember someone telling me a while back when out in the pub.... Both are Lucas M35J type however seem to have different part numbers:

- Spitfire
- MINI They seem to be the same specification but i can't find any definite answers.

Cheers

Reply to
ash1293

Could be they are electrically identical but have different fixing centres, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com saying something like:

The front mounting plate is likely the only difference between them. Swappable, usually.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

or the bendix teeth

Reply to
Rob

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rob saying something like:

Of course, but again swappable, given the old one is there as a source of parts. This is assuming that the basic starter is actually the same and the nose of it is the difference. Hopefully the shaft is the same dia and length.

Mind you... wouldn't be the first time that two apparently identical units don't swap bits readily, but Lucas weren't too bad that way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The same basic Lucas starter covered a wide range of models. The Mini and the Rover P6 2000 had the same one. The Rover didn't exactly spin over enthusiastically on a cold morning...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Yes, they probably took it a bit too far for some models.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

To be fair that was hardly Lucas's fault. They gave the car makers what they would pay for - unfortunately.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Yes - Lucas are often blamed for poor quality - but it was the car makers who specified it by penny pinching. Lucas also made the electrics for Rolls - and very fine they were too. As well as their aerospace stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some of their racing stuff was pretty good too. I often wonder what would have happened if Lucas had used their virtual monopoly to bully the manufacturers into specifying better stuff. Several of them (including Lucas) might still be in business.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I'd say the car makers would simply have sourced from abroad.

Could be - although most problems were rather deeper than just electrics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cheers all, in the end i wimped out and found an exchange locally for only =A319 - much less than i originally thought

Reply to
ash1293