Jaguar S-Type - Need advice on buying, running and maintaining

Ah, I hadn't realised they were IOE.

I believe this was a 2.6, but may be long stroke/smallish bore. First time I'd seen a Landy 6-cyl and I had to look twice to spot that it wasn't a four. It was a scrapper and the engine's probably available very cheap if they're becoming rare.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The 6-cyl P4 was 2.6 litres, and was fitted in the 75, 90, 100, 105, and

110. The Rover 80 was a 4-cyl 2.2 litre lump. Both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl were fitted in the Land Rover as well. I believe any differences were largely the ancillaries rather than the lump itself.

Although not as long (front to back) as the Triumph 6, they had a longer stroke and were taller (sump to rocker cover), and had a much lower recommended maximum revs. The P5 3-litre was the same block but with an even longer stroke, and according to the workshop manual it weighed over

5 CWT, should anyone be tempted to lift it out. I know some P5 engines ended up in Land Rovers (because I knew someone who drove one), but I don't know if it was a factory fit or an after-market conversion.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren