Just started shopping C5s and would like some advice, please

Hello: I am in the market for my first Corvette. I have read a few books, done some internet research, and have some Corvette experience from my brother's ownership. (My brother has owned C3, C4, and C5 Corvettes from 1979 through 1997 at various times. He now perfers his LT1 C4, but solely recommends a C5 for me.) Anyhow, I am car literate and have maintained my cars myself for 90% of thr maintenace, and 50% of the repairs. On my list are a 1998 and 2000 Convertible C5. So, I am looking for advice and some answers to a few questions that I will list below:

1) Is the passenger side air bag disable on the C5? I have been told that some C5s have a weight sensor for the passenger air bag, and some have a disable switch, but I cannot find anything in print to tell me such. My daughter is 8 years old, and I need to confirm that she can ride in this car! 2) What are the known weakness of the C5? Are their build issues, engine issues, or something to have checekd before I make an offer? The Corvette Bible basically says the C5 is pretty much a reliable car with great build quality, but I'd appreciate any inputs from experience here. 3) Can a shade tree like myself maintain the LS1 and C5? I like to do belts, hoses, fluid changes, brake pads, etc myself on my cars; is the C5 a high tech nightmare for the shadetree? Does anyone recommend a shop for C5s in the Phoenix area? Finally, if I don't buy a C5, should I consider a C4, or wait for affordable C6s another 5 years down the road? I sincerely appreciate your time in replies. Take care, Bill
Reply to
billccm

The handling and fun factor in the C5 is way ahead of the C4. Performance flexibility in the C5 is far ahead of any C4 save the LT-1.

Neither the C4 or C5 are machines you throw parts at and 'guessing' is a waste of time and money. 90 percent of working on them is diagnostics. Buy an old laptop computer, an adapter cable and diagnostic software.

-- pj

Reply to
al7731

I would stay away from 2001's unless the engine rings have been replaced. There was a defect in ring design that was corrected in 2002.

Reply to
aRKay

Boy that is subjective... Personally I still miss the fun and the handlng of my 95 6 sp couple my 98 6 sp Z51 convertible just is not as much fun ... I do not miss the crowl shake however Felt like a Boy Racer in the 95 but feel like a bus driver in the 98 (well not that bad lol)

Honestly I can not argue with that ...mechanically its not that big a deal to work on... BUT electronics / diagosnics are not my thing...

Bob G.

64 72 & 98 Converts 76 & 79 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.