Looking for a new classic

Hi all. I've been sifting through the archives and the group has been helpful in suggesting cars for situations in the past, I was wondering whether you could throw some ideas at me regarding my current problem.

I used to have a Spitfire 1500 when I was a student but sold it when I had to move house and get a proper life. It was enjoyable to drive and maintain, although there were issues I had with it:

1) The build quality was dreadful - mine was one of the last (1979) and bits just used to fall off 2) It was too slow. Or it would be too slow for me now 3) It was also a bit small for all my junk and could only take one friend at a time But I liked it, the club was good and the spares days were excellent ways to get cheap parts

So now I want something better. I can afford more than the Spitfire (but no more than £10k). I'd like something faster than the Spit but something that still handles as well. Open top would be good, I have others for the daily slog into work. Ideally I'm looking at a better built car too. Two seats would be ok, but an occasional somebody for a short trip in the back would be a nice option to have.

My current thoughts are (in order of preference, best first): - Sunbeam Alpine - that's the sort of size I'm after, not sure how fast they'd be though (engine isn't much bigger than the Spit tho). The Tiger would cost too much. - Stag/TR5/6, but again a good one would probably cost too much - MGB, not sure my Triumph friends would approve of that, but also may not be fast enough - GT6, ok not open top and probably just as shoddily put together, but faster. Apparently doesn't handle as well with the extra weight up front

Can anybody suggest anything else that I may have overlooked? Or I do I need to wait a few more years till I have more money? Thanks!

Reply to
Dan J.

They all do that, sir.

They all do that, sir

Well, it's a two-seater convertible sports car, what do you expect? If you want luggage space, sir wants a Sherpa van as a second vehicle.

Alpines aren't exactly overendowed with power so I'd guess you'll find it slow, too. That said, if you've got 10k to play with you should be able to get a Tiger if you look long enough.

Nah, I reckon you should be able to get a decent one for that kind of money.

Stick a V8 in it or better, buy a converted one.

Everything you listed above (with potential exception of the Alpines but they've got their own problems) will suffer from the usual British Leyland build "quality" in one way or other.

You've overlooked just about anything that was built outside this fine country, for starters.

From memory, without consulting the PC price guide, 10k would buy you one of:

- Mercedes SL. Potentially a Pagoda roofed one, but definitely a reasonable W107.

- Alfa Spider

- Fiat 124 Spider

- BMW convertible. E21 and E30 Baur convertibles definitely, potentially even an 02.

- Lancia Beta Spider. There are actually a few goods ones around these days.

- VW/Karman Ghia convertible. Slow though unless you stick a big engine in the back.

- Lotus/Caterham 7. As fast as you like, Lotus handling and -1 creature comfort.

You've also omitted the Triumph Herald and Vitesse from your list above.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Not all, I currently have a 1977 Spit 1500 and my dad has a Stag of the same vintage. The Stag is notably better built than the Spit, though still not a patch on the Volvo Amazon I had a look at recently. That was very impressive, and it hadn't been cared for or restored.

I also helped a friend fix some of his electrical problems in a Mk3 Spit, I was also surprised how much better it was than mine.

The Stag would be fast enough, surely?

You will find the Stag has much more room for luggage and passengers.

Reply to
David Balfour

Not a classic, but you might enjoy a good, early, premium edition MX5, one of the first six-speeders maybe. I think that as the earliest models are now approaching 16 years old, they are definitely worthy of 'future classic' status.

It is very hard to believe, so far along, that there were only 8 years between the disappearance of the (standard, not RV8) MGB, TR7 and Spitfire (I think Spitfires lurked around until '79 or '81?), and the Mazda MX5.

Admittedly the classic car world is your oyster with £10K to spend. I can think of a lot of classics I'd have with that money - but none of them suit your needs.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

[...£10k classic...]

TVR - wide choice below £10k, plenty quick, easy to work on.

Merc W126 SEC - fun, but very usable as a daily driver.

Merc W124 convertible - niiiiiiiice

Merc SL - usable fun.

Older BMWs and ALPINAs are easy to live with and often fast even by modern standards.

E31 8 series is cute.

There's also a nice ALPINA B11 on eBay at the mo'...

Alistair J Murray

Scimitar GTC or if you want a 2 seater, SS1 1800Ti.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Certainly not a quick car in Alpine form, but very pretty. Parts availability isn't great, at least as far as bodywork is concerned.

You can certainly rule out a decent TR5, but a good Stag or TR6 should be quite achievable under £10k.

MGBs are pleasant enough to drive, but not particularly duynamic in terms of handling or absolute speed. The V8 conversion mentioned elsewhere might suit, upgrading the B-series makes an already rough sounding engine even more stressed.

The GT6 is a very nice tourer, but as you suggest it's not as sweet handling as a Spitfire, at least not in standard trim. As with all British classics of the era, build quality is hugely variable. Most sportscars lead a hard life and suffer from abuse, even those which were put together properly at first! I've owned one low mileage MkIV Spifire which was an absolute gem, others have been completely diabolical.....

No, £10k gives you plenty of options. That will get a very nice Triumph Vitesse 2L Mk2 Convertible if you want to keep in the Spitfire family group, though personally I'd rather spend the money on getting a pair of Mk1s, or a barnful of Heralds! Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

SAAB 900 T16, or BMW E-30 Bauer cabrio. There again, if you want something that handles "as well" as a Spit, I have a nice ragtop wheelbarrow for much less than 10k, drive away.

Reply to
deadlock