Where to look for a classic...

Hi I'm on the lookout for a Spitfire or a Midget (pref Spit) in the Hants/Surrey/Berks/S London area. Want something in Class 2/1 condition. I am using the following sources:

1) Classic Car Weekly (paper - is there a web site with its classified ads on?) 2) Autotrader.co.uk - set-up vehicle alerts 3) eBay (can you set-up e-mail alerts there - haven't noticed the feature?) 4) Loot (though have to buy 'earlybird' vouchers to look at contact details in first 7 days I think - which i'm less keen on)

Anywhere else that's good (web or print)?

Reply to
Jeremy

Have you joined a club yet? Both Club Triumph and the Triumph Sports Six Club cater for the Spit and have monthly classifieds - you'll need to be a member to view the Sports Six stuff

the CT stuff is unrestricted Ithink.
maybe turn up to the Sports Six Area meeting in Hook, first Tuesday ofthe month, i.e. next weekYou could also join one of the Spitfire mailing lists on Yahoo - they arefree and can reach lots of people with a "wanted" plea

Excellent thanks for the links - may well go down to Hook next week - is that Hook Hants or the one in Surrey nr Tolworth?

Reply to
Jeremy

Hook Hants - The Crooked Billet pub, about 8:30 ish- look for Triumphs in the car park at the rear, if it's nice we'll be sat outside :-)

It's there somewhere... You basically tell it to email you when it finds something that matches your entered keywords.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Is that the pub on the A30 between Phoenix Green and Hook? if so it's about 10 minutes away!

Reply to
Jeremy

Yes you can do that on eBay in a number of ways - set up a favourite search in a category in "my ebay" and tell it to tell you everytime something is listed there - you can set up loads of searches and it's very useful. ebay will email you for upto a year

Last year this time I was on the lookout for the same i.e. preferred Spit but was willing to consider a Midget. The MG guys might not agree but if you have a hankering for a Spit then don't even look at Midgets. They are much more different than you think. A friend of mine has a midget (same year and in fact same engine as my Spit) but having gone the Spit route there is really nothing which makes me regret choosing it over the Midget.

Apart from the better looks (imo) so many easy Spitfire jobs would be a nightmare on the little Midget and the fact you can get overdrive on the Spit is a bonus too.

Good luck with your search.

PS - I would second the recommendation to join the TSSC. When you join ask them for a Spitfire buyers guide - they have a nice handy one to carry around with you including everything you should cover on a Spit test drive.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" realised it was Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:54:05

+0000 (UTC) and decided it was time to write:

Excellent suggestion. Do join a club before you buy a car.

Or download one now from

Yippee

Actually going to see one later this week - probably a bit too soon to be able to obtain the official buyers guide - another poster linked to the

- is that the same thing?

Reply to
Jeremy

Jeremy realised it was Wed, 30 Jun 2004

11:06:38 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Read it. It's written by a Spitfire owner, not a club. Do a search and you'll find more buyer guides all over the web. There is no 'official' guide.

Reply to
Yippee

Its similar. The TSSC may be a club but I don't think that is a negative point - the club is a collective of lots of owners.

Heres a link to the club guide

Doug

"Doug" realised it was Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:11:44

+0000 (UTC) and decided it was time to write:

I'm not saying anything negative about any club or their buyer's guides. I advise any prospective Spitfire buyer to become a club member first, before going out to buy a car. Very few actually do it in that order, but most of them admit I was right afterwards...

Good guide, if a bit limited.

Reply to
Yippee

You're right of course. I joined the TSSC a few days after buying my Spit. As it turned out I got a good car in the end but I could have avoided some of the jobs I've had to do since with a little extra foresight.

Reply to
Doug