More insurance snags

I've just come across another potential problem with my classic insurance. I have a "named driver" on the policy, a chap I have known for years and one of the few people I trust to drive my car....

He wanted to take it (with me) to Castle Coombe for a track day, then use it to take his daughter down to Le Mans. The wording in the policy being impenetrable unless you are a lawyer or Stanley Unwin, I gave the broker a call just to check all was OK. And it wasn't. Only I could drive it on the track, and he could only take it abroad if I was with him, driving or not. That washed out the track day; I did offer to take his daughter to Le Mans myself, but he gave me a strange look and knocked that one straight out of court (pity!).

So - I had assumed that a named driver had equal status to me, but it seems he's a second class citizen. Worth watching out for that one if you share a car.

Just thought - technically the car belongs to my daughter, so in fact she's the insured (although not able to drive it, being under 25) so I guess that makes me a named driver as well... Think there's going to be some negotiating at renewal time.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Insurance companies have you over a great big barrel, don't they?

When I insured my Mini for my daughter, the classic companies wouldn't touch it because she's 17. (Actually I had trouble getting a quote to begin with as she didn't turn 17 until a month after I wanted the policy to start!). Anyway, I phoned the company that gave the most competitive quote, who checked through all the details. They then informed me that it would cost an extra £100 because my wife had a minor bump while driving my other car (separate policy, different insurer), even though I wasn't including her on this policy!

You just can't win with them.

Reply to
Chris Bolus