personal plate question

I have a personal plate on retention cert that expires in January. What is the cheapest way to hold on to it? I don't really want it on my current car but if I DID transfer it, how long does it have to stay on for before it can go back on retention again? Thanks

Reply to
Meanim

I don't know. It's a pity that there's not like a licencing authority that has a website.

Reply to
adder1969

most of such websites dont have the detail thats required, and when you try calling too, they dont have a clue and fob u off.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Really. It's shame there's not like a government site for it or something :-)

As far as I recall, you have to pay to extend your retention. Pay to transfer the number to a car and pay again if you want to retain it again. So, cheapest way is to pay the 25 quid or whatever each year.

Reply to
adder1969

Retention renewal for a year costs £25. If you transfer it to your car, I don't think there is a minimum time that it has to stay on, other than the time it takes the DVLA to sort out the paperwork. It's not in their interests to limit this, as there's the £105 fee to place a registration on a retention certificate.

I've just put a private reg from retention onto a car, the initial response with the replacement tax disc took about four days, then the replacement V5C followed on about five days after that.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Edwards