Re: advice on mk iv spit total respray

The trick with cans is to REALLY shake them for 5 minutes before you use

> them - use LOTS of light coats so that each drys before the next (only takes > a minute), and ONLY mask off surrounding panels (never mask off part of a > panel!) > > The best canned-paint I got from a place in Brum which actually match it to > the existing paint on the car and make it up there and then (if you're doing > touch-ups) > > > > Cans!!!!!! > > You've got to be nuts. I remember repainting a metro door that was the > > wrong colour. 6 cans later and I could still see through the paint. Even > > with a base coat! > > > > If you're going to do it yourself then invest in a compressor or 2 or so > > HP and a 50 litre reservoir. ABAC do good ones and I was happy with the > > freebie tools that I got with it. > > > > Mind you, the tough part is the prep. It's also the expensive part if > > you take it to a body shop. Even if you do it yourself you'll find that > > they will do it again and if they are worth their salt then you'll be > > mighty impressed at how much better the finish is. > > > > Mind you, I do agree about doing it yourself. It isn't difficult and > > there is going to be loads of advice from this group on the best way. > > I've painted 3 spits with increasing success. > > Body prep. Body prep. Body prep. > > that's the key. > > > > Sorry I don't know any places that I could recommend for doing the work > > but I can recommend Ebrand Automotive for a superb range of the best > > paints. THey are also about 60-90% cheaper for the top quality stuff. > > They are the main paint factors for the body repair trade. No > > connection, just a really impressed customer. > > > > Matt > > > > Ed wrote: > > > > > > Do the whole lot your self... > > > > > > They are such small pnaels on a spitfire that it's an easy job - I've > done 2 > > > midgets with cans that looked better than the finish you get from > someone > > > doing it for the money! > > > > > > > am after any advice anyone can give me re bodyshops/paintshops in west > > > > sussex - value (work and cost) etc...am in need of a total respray on > a mk > > > > iv spitfire but need to keep costs down - doing much of the prep > myself so > > > > any advice there as well (go back to bare metal? prime myself? etc > > > > > > > > thanx > > > > steve > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Bill

Failed

I recently bought bought a SIP Saphire spray gun with a 1.5mm nozzle -- sprays very nicely, it would need a 2 hp to get a good finish on a big panel job such as a bonnet or roof but it will do minor stuff such as a door quite happily when conected to one of my a 1.5 hp compressors.

2 pack or 3 pack paints are best avoided because they are highly toxic, but some of the newer ones are essentially enammels and much less toxic than the older ones such as Gypfast 60 which was almost a weapon of mass destruction.
Reply to
AWM