Re: gasket sealant on Weber carb intake manifold?

i only use blue holymar or rolls royce blue as some like to call it

I'm about to do a proper re-install(filed down sides, brand new studs & > clamps) of a Pierce manifold on my Spitfire, and was wondering if I > should apply gasket sealant? > > If so, what type should i use or avoid? I'd realy like to seal up this > vacuum leak once and for all so the few months left of good weather in > Minnesota to drive it. > > -- > Kids love the rich taste of web content! >

PJJ

Avoid silicone gasket goo on inlet manifolds and carbs - it goes all crumbly/stringy and falls apart.

With you being in Merka, I can't recommend any particular brand that'd be known to you in your neck of the woods, but if you go down to your nearest trade plumbing suppliers and ask for a jointing compound for fuel systems, they should come up with something suitable.

Having said that; if the manifold and carb faces are in good condition you shouldn't really need anything in the way of gasket goo - the standard gasket dry fitted should be adequate.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I applied some RTV "gray" stuff, only to find out after it wasn't meant for gasoline-related stuff.

I also struggled with the new studs I got from Spitbits, only to find they aren't the optimal length. One got threads stripped, so I improvised.

I fired it up, and it works! I'll be damned the thing idles smoothly, even at under 900 rpms.

I drove it around for 5 minutes and it's got serious pickup now. Got it back in the garage to find steam underneath the front of the hood, and found it split a coolant hose. No biggie. Couldn't be happier, in fact.

Reply to
Spitfire 1500

There shouldn't be any need. I was taught to smear some grease on a new gasket, though.

But if you feel you must, my favourite is Hylomar. Easily removed with cellulose thinners but impervious to just about anything found on a car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hylomar in common with most other gasket sealers does degrade when exposed to petrol. If you have fitted a new manifold with new gaskets, and it leaks, it is likely that the faces are distorted in some way, and while gasket sealer may stop leaks, the correct way to proceed would be to get the faces checked, and rectified if they are not straight and true.

Incidentally by far the best gasket sealers are those made by Japanese motorcycle manufacturers.........these are expensive, but are far far better than anything like Hermitite, or Hylomar (both products formulated more than

30 years ago!).

Simon

Reply to
simon