Re: MGB GT (1979) 1800cc

fit new points and always a condenser set the gap with a dwell meter not feeler gauges ,,then get the ignition timing checked after the points are set,, finaly check you have the right oil in your carburetta/s people used to put engine oil in but its too thick really put 3in 1 in if you can still get it ,,hope this helps it been a long time since i worked on these ,,

Reply to
ruffy

This is not necessarily true as 4 cylinder cars have a greater dwell which is sufficient to "charge" The dwell becomes more critical on 6 and 8 cylinder cars and these should be setup with a dwell meter.

,,then get the ignition timing checked after the points

People use a SAE10 grade but a thicker grade will slow down the reaction time of the piston and you do get better cleaner acceleration. I recall something like SAE30 was recommended by BMC in there special tuning book.

rm

in but its too thick really put 3in 1 in

Reply to
Rob

dwell

Total tosh, it's less important but that's all, if you want optimal performance then you need to set the dwell - as it also takes into account any wear within the distributor to some extent.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

meter not

points

Learn to post correctly moron...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If you expect to rectify a worn distributor with dwell adjustment your wrong. It just tells you how much its worn.

Reply to
Rob

But you'll still need to do the initial set with feeler gauges anyway. Then check with a dwell meter.

The old Lucas 8 cylinder distributor as fitted to the P6 Rover allowed external adjustment of the points which was a great idea. Although it needed to be since the dwell would alter weekly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

critical on 6

meter.

optimal

into

anyway.

That depends how good you are at judging a small gap :~) When I used to do more servicing (that involved CB replacement) I used to adjust the gap by eye, having checked for bearing / spindle run-out, this was enough to allow the engine to start.

...and then the timing of course....

allowed

Yes, if only AC Delco had done that on their excuse for a distributor, the one used on the Vauxhall / Bedford OHC 'slant' 4 engine etc. (the one with the advance weights above the points...).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

optimal

into

I've done it many times mate, stop talking out of your a***!

Nothing will rectify the fault but you can mask it to some degree.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Your all bullshit

Reply to
Rob

critical

meter.

degree.

And you're obviously an ignorant little f****it.

Just how many years did you say you been a mechanic?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::