tach & dwell

I picked up a used tach & dwell meter, has a red and black lead, so where do i plug those? Also does it work on any car or only on points system? How to use such meter?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

On mine, the colored lead attaches to the coil on the side where the green condenser wire connects and the black lead connects to ground or earth as the Brits say.

Do you even have to adjust the dwell on an electronic ignition system? Isn't not fiddling with points one of the perks of that kind of system?

Warm up the engine. You can check with the tach to see that the engine is running at 850-900 rpm. Then flip the switch and check the dwell. On my

009 distro I try to set the dwell to 50 degrees. If too high, the point gap is too narrow. If too low, the point gap is too wide. This is with pretty much everything stock in a 1600 single port engine.
Reply to
Michael Cecil

Another way that you can use the dwell meter is to set the points. Remove the dist. cap and just loosen the points so that it takes a screw driver to move them and then crank the engine over. Your dwell will show and you can just move the points to where you want it and then tighten them back up. Works every time and you don't have to be going back and forth with a feeler gage checking and re checking to get it right. One step and you are done. I have done this for all point engines since I started working with them back in the early 60's. It's all of this new crap that has me stumped.

Reply to
Packrat46