Restoring a stainless steel luggage rack

Hello,

I bought on eBay an original 6-slat luggage rack for my '78 Spitfire. The rack is in very good condition, slightly pitted and oxydized.

What's the best technique to restore a stainless steel luggage rack ?

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Flaherty

All you can do is to polish it. This will be very hard and at the very least you will need some polishing compound for ferrous metal and a calico mop on a bench grinder or drill. Pitting can only be removed by sanding - but don't take too much off. Once you have attacked the surface with any abrasive you will need to go progressively up to at least 1000 grit before trying the polishing compound. I have just polished my con rods this way - these are probably not as tough as stainless.

Reply to
Les Rose

Stainless or chromed ?

If it's stainless, you're laughing. Nip down to your local seller of such things and get a set of "Garryflex" blocks, in all the colours. Imagine a big pencil rubber the size of a bar of soap, full of abrasive grit. Perfect for re-finishing the surface on stainless and it should come up to pristine condition.

As always, get the big scratches _right_out_ before you switch to a finer grade.

Then get a second set and keep it for use on non-ferrous metals. Hugely useful things, I'm always using mine.

For chromed, forget it. Autosol and ignore the rest, or else you're talking of re-chroming.

Reply to
Andy Dingley