It's not been my day...

Just about ready to fit the MegaSquirt. Taking my time as I want a nice neat reliable installation. Made up a complete new wiring loom for the SD1 injection - in all the right colours.

But decided a wideband O2 sensor was the way forward - allows the MS to stay closed loop over a far wider rev range and load. So had to get a Tech Edge unit as the MS doesn't support one directly.

The sensor has to be fitted much further back than a normal one - about 1 metre from the nearest exhaust valve. So underneath the car. Found somewhere with plenty space just behind the gearbox and marked the pipe. Then removed it - which meant virtually taking off the entire system. Still, it needed some work at the joints, and a heatshield re-welding so no bad thing.

Cut the hole and got the boss TIG welded into the SS pipe. My shoulder is playing up so didn't get round to reassembling until this weekend. Had to get help to tighten the furthest nuts. Car up on axle stands in the road. Cut the hole in the transmission tunnel for the cable and go to fit the sensor. To find the one bolt into a captive sticking through the tunnel for miles fouls the cable. Half an inch in any direction would have been fine.

I've ordered up another boss and a blanking plug and I'm going to get the firm who did the welding to do it all. ;-) The guy guessed 50 quid should cover it. So much easier with a ramp.

Next problem is where to fit the knock sensor...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the later 4.0 and 3.9 engines, they are fitted with a through bolt to the block, one on each side.

Depends on what type of fitting yours have as to where it could go.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Where on the block? I was looking for a suitable flat part to give a good acoustic contact. I'm happy enough to drill into the water jacket and fit a stud. But obviously would prefer to know where the wall is thick enough to allow a decent length thread. I did wonder if the engine mounting would be a good place or too far away? IIRC, the best place is well away from any mechanical noise but close to a cylinder. I've seem them mounted on a bracket fixed to the cylinder head - but not sure how effective that would be.

Single hole fixing - so a stud and nut would be ideal. A stud rather than bolt if going into the water jacket so it can be sealed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, just above and to the rear (3/4") from the centre core plug, either side of the block, is where landrover fitted theirs, so location-wise for a signal that'd be about right. As for block wall thickness on an early block, I'm afraid that'll be a case of try it and see, but a stud is definitely the way to go, landy version is an M8 thread. You might have to get the block tig welded up to provide sufficient metal for screwing into, or maybe a product such as JB Weld would do the trick? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Nice ! ...Have you anymore interesting tales?.. I think you need to read heat magazine as you're going down that road of being old and really boring the shit out of us now Who do you think you are? steve 'f****it' firth?

Reply to
Mike Dean

Fuck off, there's a good chap.

Reply to
Dean Dark

No thanks, I'll annoy more than you'll ever imagine, try me....

Reply to
Mike Dean

Drunk again, are you? You really should lay off the sauce.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Mike, old chap, let me bring you up to speed on a couple of things.

  1. Few if any web sites these days will subscribe an e-mail address to a newsletter without a confirmation e-mail from the address itself.
  2. Many web sites include helpful information, such as the IP address of the requester (shall we say 86.177.74.185 for example), in the confirmation request e-mail.
  3. I don't know how responsive BT Internet is to requests to terminate a users account for TOS violations. Do you?
Reply to
Dean Dark