SD1 struts

Decided it was time for new dampers and a general overhaul as there is a 'clonk' when first reversing, and again when going forwards. Got them off surprisingly easily, and have stripped one down. The gasket between the top of the spring and the housing had all but disappeared, and the metal was shiny through rubbing - but no groove to speak of. The top mounting is a ball race in a Metalastic bush, and the bush is fine but the bearing shot. The bearing is caulked into the housing, but came out easily enough. It's about 60mm in diameter and normal enough looking, but has built in metal dust shields on both sides, and the inner race appears to be in two halves.

Assuming bearings are bearings, I went to a local supplier. Obsolete he said, but he managed to locate a couple at 36 quid each plus VAT and delivery (to him).

The damper on that side moved easily by hand in both directions, but the car didn't float when driving. There must be some serious friction in the suspension. ;-)

Rimmers don't list the bearings, but do exchange units - POA. Their damper prices were ok, and I ordered them, gaiters and 'shims' for both sides. Parts will come to about 250 quid including the bearings. Anyone got a Ford for sale?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk, Dave Plowman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Try Runcorn SD1 centre, they have most bits for SD1s, and are reasonably cheap.

They're just a bunch of beardy weirdos who get together on Saturdays to play with old Rovers, you'd like 'em.

They'll have some mint "pre-enjoyed" ones for a lot less cash than that..

They've got a website somewhere, google is your friend.

Reply to
Pete M

I did look at secondhand units, but on a vehicle where the newest is nearing 20 years old, things like the rubber parts and dampers will not be in the first flush of youth anyway.

Dave Plowman

The bits - or most of them - arrived from Rimmers. The workshop manual mentions a top spring insulator ring, but it's not shown in the exploded view, and on neither of mine was there any sign of one ever having been fitted - the spring was a direct fit into the top housing. The bottom housing has a rubber gasket though. It also mentions shims. I take it those were only fitted if needed? Again, no sign of those on mine. However, on one side there was the remains of a thin flat rubber washer. But it's not obvious where it goes - or should be - it's too small to cushion the top of the spring. The parts manual exploded view on the Rimmer's site is the same as the workshop manual one - no mention of a top insulator gasket. Perhaps it was only fitted to early cars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dolomites have these...not macPhuts I know but similar coil over spring pan idea and they ar about 1/4 inch thick and sit betwen spring top and pan. Pan then bolts to body with 3 studs...Wonder if they are the same size dianeter wise...

Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

Rimmers don't list the bearings, but do exchange units - POA. Their damper

What have you been doing to it! A John Cleese? :-)

My Vitesse has over 90k. The top strut mountings still appear to be perfect.

The gaiters don't appear to be necessary. One of mine was torn and half missing when I replaced the strut inserts with adjustable ones about 10 years ago. I ordered a new set, but refitted the struts without the gaiters in the meantime. I still haven't fitted the gaiters, as the damper shafts are still unmarked, with no sign of damage or corrosion. I'll get round to it one day, but see no real need for them. Presumably when you say dampers, I assume you mean the fronts only. If it included the rear Nivomats you'd be getting a real bargain at £250. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks - I'll have a look at Rimmers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My EFI passed 90,000 when I was still using it as my main car, about 10 years ago. ;-)

I was getting a heavy clonk from the front end when reversing - or rather when changing direction from either forwards or backwards if there was a fair amount of lock applied - as in parking - and all the rest of the front suspension is newish, so that only really left the top mounting - and one bearing definitely did have some 'movement'.

Mine have been split for as along as I remember too, but if going to the lengths of stripping it all down I'm happy to replace them.

Heh heh - think you'll pay that for one Nivomat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman