What have I done...

Will i regret this.....

Who cares, listen to that noise - I just couldnt resist :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That makes my Samba purchase look normal!

If it's as description there's a lot of work - but once done it should be good.

BTW - there's an article in Practical Classics this month on how not to buy through eBay - and that's 3 purchases now which tick all the 'don'ts' in the article.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Have you actually bought it? If so welcome. ;-)

The speedo error thingie is interesting and awkward to fix. When it was converted from auto to manual they've probably used the box from one with a different rear axle ratio - and to fix means stripping the box.

If it has the Rimmer large bore exhaust where the tailpipe exits to the rear in a straight line rather than the curved to one side type which is standard, it will draw exhaust fumes into the cab.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ebay will be the downfall of a lot of us ;-)

But I guess we would fall down anyhow. You've got yourself something nice, bugger!

As the rear window doesn't work- just as Elder's Rover- the car should be OK. Search around for the Tom Walkingshaw goodies and have fun.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

To be fair, for a 26yo SD1, that looks Mint!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yep, that's mine name down there as the buyer! Bought it without seeing it, which was probably a silly thing to do, but nevermind. I've got access to a decent workshop now so even if it is a bit ropey under the nice looking body I should be able to sort it out!

Hmmm, that sounds like a PITA of a job!

It looked curved on the You Tube video I think. We'll see.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Generally, SD1s show their body problems - it's very unlikely there are hidden nasties, unless any deliberate cover up work has been done.

I can help you out with a rear window motor for the one that's failed - although it might be relays or switches instead. Those often respond to cleaning. If both rear windows don't work it's probably the child inhibit switch and that too usually cleans up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sorry, I must have missed a thread?

You bought a Samba?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Excellent, thank you!!

The car will probably go straight in for an MoT when I get it, then we shall see what I'm up against in terms of slightly more major stuff. Wanna get it done quick though as I want it usable for the summer months :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Dave, as you seem to be an expert and the only other SD1 owner on here AFAIK - what do you know about the LSD the guy writes about? Did they ever come with one? If so are there any give away markings on the diff? I'm not fussed about whether it has one or not, it would just be nice if it did!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Reading the description again, the steering shimmy *may* be a problem MOT wise as it isn't common, so may suggest wear. Assuming wheel balance etc isn't a million miles out.

However, the suspension is as simple as they come and all parts available

- most as cheap as chips since Rimmer bought the Indian parts stock. Although I hear tell they've increased some prices now.

Likely cause worn ball joint (new bottom link) or anti roll bar to bottom link bushes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIRC it was never a factory fit option even on the Vitesse which would be in far more need of it.

It's not even mentioned in my W/S manual so can't help. But I'd say it would be worth as much as the car if it is one. ;-)

I'll ask on the SD1 groups.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Should have given them in case you want to subscribe.

Both Yahoo groups.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

You have to register with yahoo groups before subscribing. Both quite low traffic so no big deal email wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Carl Gibbs wittered on forthwith;

As another ex-owner of many SD1s, ISTR that the TR8 used an SD1 axle with an LSD.

Reply to
Pete M

Well he's included a couple of ball joints in the auction, so that's a good start. But since my Dad now owns an MoT station, it makes projects like this much easier. I can take it down there for him to do a pre-MoT check, he can let me know what it needs then I can go and sort it out in the evenings/weekends. And then it can go straight through an MoT first time.

Just been taking a closer look at the Rimmer website - I'm glad to see there's plenty of spares available. And the prices don't seem that bad.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thanks!

Once we get the car back to the garage I can check properly. Just wondering if there's an easier way whilst the car is on the ground.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yep - see thread from Monday titled "Hmm, not a Daimler ..."

It's at:

and I'm collecting it next weekend. David

Reply to
David Lane

Post corrected :-P

Reply to
SteveH

You know where to take the 156 now then :-p

Reply to
Iridium

I'd have thought the best way was obvious - give it some beans, drop the clutch and see if you make some nice 11's. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne