Sorn

And another hem - what is your website Howard?

Thanks TT

Reply to
Tony Tynan

SV is for cars 1905 to 1930 BS is for pre 1905 cars.

Andy

Reply to
Splashlube

Which one?

Links to both at

:-) (should be back in my .sig now... I forgot to put it back after a system format...)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

Bits snipped

Hi Geoff

Louis Coatalen came to England from France in about 1900. He worked for a few French firms but felt he had better chances in the UK as the Industry was still very young here.

He worked for Humber first designing cars and then in 1907 was 'poached' by William Hillman. The agreement was that they would go into partnership with Hillman putting up the money and Coatalen bringing his mechanical expertise.

They began by building large25hp cars and a 40hp 6 cylinder. The 25 HP was of the type he raced in the TT races but crashed out while going a bit too well.

In 1908 they introduced the smaller 12/15 4 cylinder. Its this type that I am restoring. Mine is Engine number 124 chassis 615 and has the dates April 08 cast into the 4 separate cylinders. Its dated a month earlier than the Coventry Museum car.

Louis married in 1902 and he had a son from this union. He was divorced in

1906. Its then widely reported that he married one of the Hillman daughters to get his name on a car. I have researched our family tree and proved that this did not happen. My Grandmother, married to Louis's nephew, told me that Louis had wooed and promised to marry a Hillman daughter but when old man Hillman found out that Louis was a divorcee he forbade the marriage. By then though the partnership was operational. In 1909 Louis went to Sunbeam and married Olive Bath, daughter of one of the directors, but this marriage failed as well. he then Married Enid Von Rallte of Brownsea Island. And finally had one more marriage in 1935 which outlasted him!!

So there you have Louis Coatalen's life abridged in a few short sentences. I could pad it out but it would take a while and be boring reading for most.

Regards

Andy

Sole private member of the Hillman-Coatalen Owners Club The Corporate Member is Coventry Motor Museum.

Reply to
Splashlube

Fascinating! Many thanks, Andy.

Geoff MacK