SORN - implications of not declaring

Strangly enough, in a similar situation (though a number of years ago) I sold a car for spares / repair (a whoe £35) without completing the bit at the bottom of the log book. Several months later got a letter re a parking ticket on it. Sent a nice covering letter stating that I'd sold the vehicle (explaining the situation - including the fact the it had been sold for spares and was not in an MoT able condition) with a cheque for the required amount on the understanding I was still technically liable through my own stupidity re the form.

It was never cashed ...

Reply to
Samuel Clemens

AFAIK you won't get a receipt if you did it by post (I have half a dozen on SORN right now).

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Read in a trade paper recently that the fine could be £1000 from January 1st !!!!!!!

Moral of the story fill out those SORN forms pronto.

Dixie

Reply to
dixie

Correct - I always hand mine over at the counter, not least because I tend to leave these things until the last minute and don't trust the post to get them there on time.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

It's not the true value - it's what revenue commissioners say is the value. I questioned them about their system of obtaining values. I eventually got it from them that they get their values from the trade, i.e. they ask Jaguar dealers! Not exactly unbiased then. When I suggested that there's a possible difference between a dealer priced car, sold off a forecourt with MOT, guarantee, backup service, etc. and one bought needing repairs I was met with silence...

The true value is what people are asking (and not getting) in the small ads. Ads for similar cars have asking prices much less than 2500 Euro. XJ6s and XJ40s can be got for around a grand, which is £700ish in your money.

Reply to
Sean

Mine was worse! Similar situation, £80 Marina all road legal, and we believed the buyer who said he'd send off the logbook. Three weeks later we had a visit from the old Bill, as the car had been used in a bank job! Ever since then we have made a point of keeping and sending off the correct portion of V5.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Ok, worry over! I do feel unsure though. Almost everything I do with the DVLA goes wrong - and it's always their fault!

The most embarassing was when they put my name on the V5 as "Mrs. Howard Rose"... grrr...

Reply to
Howard Rose

A Marina in a bank job? The couple I bought a car from recently were sticklers for the paperwork. The reason - an Escort van they'd sold a few years ago was used by the IRA as a mobile rocket launcher...

Reply to
Sean

Jera's back. Go play with yourself kiddie. *plonk*

Reply to
Chris Bolus