Stop and go? Nothing new!

don't know the older one, but recently the vw polo had it.

there used to be a combined generator starter that would have been ideal for the job

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

yea they did it on the early mk2 polo formel e model and some of the golfs, waste of time as i worked in a garge and the amount of starters thet we changed was silly ....

something-or-other

Reply to
Annteak

Just skimmed through a road test of the latest Citroen something-or-other in a Sunday paper (OK, it's Tuesday, I'm a slow reader).

Apparently they have this wonderful fuel-saving innovation. When you stop at traffic lights the engine cuts out. When the lights change to green you just depress the accelerator and the engine restarts.

Now, I'm quite sure this was a feature on a much earlier car - I suspect

1920's? But I can't remember what it was. Any thoughts, NG?

Personally, if any of my cars starts at all then I'm overjoyed and try hard to keep it running. The thought of voluntarily turning off the engine and then trusting it to restart with a queue of repmobiles behind all competing to see who has the loudest horn appalls. And I wonder how many batteries and starter motors this thing gets through.

Seriously, though, does anybody know what the earlier car was? I have in mind that it was something quite luxurious - Daimler? Lanchester? Or was it an odd-ball - Swift? Bean?

I can remember parts of the original road test, such as how it amazed pedestrians by sitting silently and then apprently restarting itself, but I'm afraid it's down the gaslit end of my memory bank.

Any ideas?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

"Geoff Mackenzie" realised it was Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:25:34 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Must've been a steam car. They're perfectly silent when stationary - and hardly make a sound when rolling.

Reply to
Yippee

I drove an Audi 80 in the 80s that had it, and used to scare me. you could press a button like the indicator stalk, or something, to force it on or off..

Reply to
Neil

You are probably thinking of the Lucas Startix. It was used by Rover and I think Hillman among others in the 1930's. It was not thought to be too reliable and so a lot of people disabled it.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Geoff Mackenzie ( snipped-for-privacy@acsysindia.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You need to have a BIG word with your newsagent, and change to a half- decent paper.

Citroen have been half-pushing this "technology" for about 5-6 years.

Even that's nothing new. As others have said - Several 80s VWs used this. Before it was decided to be yet another crap dead-end.

Reply to
Adrian

I recall that the Austin Allegro had this, and along with the square steering wheel and hydrolastic suspension just shows what a good idea it was. I can't remember whether it was supposed to be for saving fuel or to be kinder to the environment tho'.

pottsy

pottsy ( snipped-for-privacy@pottsy.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You recall wrong.

Reply to
Adrian

It had a talking dashboard, though. Perhaps it said "Switch the fscking engine off!" when you stopped at a junction?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The All-aggro? Talking dashes in the early 70s? I think not.

That was the Monstro pair.

Reply to
Adrian

There was an aftermarket add on made by IITC Smiths in the '50s - Easystart? But I think its main purpose was to restart a stalled car - declutch and it would start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd also love to see the figures. Starters, alternators and batteries are anything but 100% efficient. And stopping and restarting an engine within a short period is likely to use more fuel than leaving it running.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah yes, you're right. Just the Maestro though, I think - and it was an Allegro in drag.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

You recall wrong again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing like the Allegro - apart from sharing some engines. But then so do Range Rover and Jaguar. With a few assorted Fords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Circular link...

First-shape Disco used Mastro van headlights and tail lights.

Reply to
Adrian

Used so many parts from the Leyland parts bin it looked like a Maestro Van in bad light. Weren't the door handles from it also?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex ( snipped-for-privacy@cbmsys.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :