Buick Skylark 1993 stalls only in stop-and-go traffic.

Greetings! I'm wondering if someone could perhaps shed some light on my situation here. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about vehicles, but my father does and he can't seem to pinpoint what this problem is, because it's very bizzare and intermittent..

I'll try to describe what is happening as best as I can. Basically, if I'm on a highway and I am not stopping / starting often, there is ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM. You wouldn't even know there is something wrong.

The problem ONLY OCCURS when I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, having to accelerate / decelerate in rapid succession. After about 20 minutes of this, the car will start to miss and stall right in the middle of the road leaving me at around 20 K/PH with no power brakes etc.

Afterwards, when I start it, it will REV UP very high and then normalize, but then as soon as I try to put it in drive, it proceeds to stall instantly. The only way I can get my car back home is to let it sit there for 10 minutes.

During this time, the car heat meter does go up in temperature, but does not exceed its limits, so I don't think it's an overheating problem, but it could be. Engine coolant has been checked and is fine.

Any help, information, or anything at all would be graciously appreciated,and you've my thanks in advance!

- Rocque

Reply to
Rocque

What engine in your skylark?