Major Oil Leak 89 Chrysler New Yorker

I had my oil changed at Walmart and they would not do it because they said there was an oil leak and they could not tell where it was coming from.. Went to Pep Boys and they did the oil change and told me I did have a oil leak as well but to check it often.. I drove from Georgia to California and only used about 3 quarts. Yesterday, Low oil pressure light comes on.. No oil at all showing on stick... I put in 3 quarts... I start driving and while smoke is blowing out the back from oil getting on engine.. It does not blow more smoke if I hit the gas.. Anyway, to go 50 miles I had to use about 6 quarts.. Any ideas for where to start? Like I said, no signs from looking down from the top.. Of course under it is coming out from the right side... any help would be great..

Thanks glee

Reply to
glee

What engine do you have? The 3.0 V6 can have leakage problems from the valve cover gaskets, as well as other locations. Early models also had the problem of leaking valve guide oil seals.

I have a 2.5, that once developed a leak in the camshaft oil seal on the timing belt side. It was hard to track down, but leaked quite a bit until I had it replaced.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Earlier this year, my 89 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.0L engine developed a large oil leak over a short period of time (a few weeks). You could see it leaking with the engine running on the right (passenger) side. It turned out to be the seal on the crank. Since this seal is part of the oil pump assembly, I had them replace the entire pump because the engine had over 200,000 miles on it. The new pump cost a little over $100 at NAPA and the labor to replace it was about 4 hours.

Eldred

Reply to
eldred30

The engine is a3.0 V6. I did not drive it without oil as to not blow the engine. Anyway, I took it in to Auto Tech 2000, and they did a power wash.. They said someone had put JB Powerweld around the bolt, but it was not leaking from there.. So, Walmart who does all my oil changes must of of cracked it, patched it, and somehow forgot to tell me.. Anyway, that was not the problem. After the power wash, they said it was leaking from the oil pan gasket. $166 to replace a $15 ($10 at Napa Part) and the rest was labor.. Then they took it for a test drive.. Now it's the crank case that was leaking.. So they said I should replace the water pump and timing kit as well while they are in there.. Total cost now $775 I feel they should have found the oil leak before the test drive.. That is why they did the power washing. Does this sound right to anyone.. I have surgery being done on me on Wednesday, and I will get it back on Monday. I'm in a small city, so my choices are limited. Thanks for any help. Glee

Reply to
glee

All you need to do is having perform an oil leak dye test on this vehicle to determine all the oil leaks at one time. It is a sure fire way of locating them. Oil leaks are common from the valve cover gaskets, camshaft seals and plugs and the head gaskets. Not to say the valve guide dropping and causing the engine to smoke bad at idle. If you have smoke from idle and plan on keeping this vehicle you may as well have the heads removed and repaired. My opinion

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower