Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire

Just picked up a 1978 Spitfire that the previous owner had put headers on. That moved the catalytic converter farther down the pipe just under the transmission cover (it's a California car). The factory solution was to put the Cat right under the exhaust manifold.

I had to have the thing smog checked. Since the new laws in this (f'ing) state require a dynamo test the car was running in place at around 35mph for some time. The catalytic converter got so hot it ignited the carpet that's over the transmission cover.

I can get new carpet and the smog guys will help pay, that's not the problem. My question for the newsgroup is if there is some sort of commercial solution available? Or are there lessons learned out there (besides don't live in Calif.) that will save me from learning them the hard way myself. The flaming Spitfire was a lesson I could have lived without.

I had intended to take it to a local muffler shop and talk to them about heat shields, better muffler etc. Thought I'd give the newsgroup a shot first though. Thanks in advance for replies.

Rick

PS. Thanks also for all the replies to my recent post '76 MG Midget and '78 Spitfire 1500 engine swap?

Reply to
Rick

Rick realised it was Sat, 06 Sep 2003

00:10:44 GMT and decided it was time to write:

This is a UK newsgroup and most Spitfire owners here have never even seen a Spitfire with a catalytic converter.

I suggest you subscribe yourself to the Triumph Spitfire mailing list, which is full of knowledgable and helpful US Spitfire owners.

It's a busy list, but worth it.

Reply to
Yippee

That thought had briefly crossed my mind. I had seen that autox thing somewhere on the net but didn't think about it. Thanks for the clue.

Yippee wrote:

Reply to
Rick

Does this mean we pagans shouldn't lurk, read and give our own two farthings ... this is first and formost a NG about classic cars, no ?

Eugenio

63 MG B Tourer 66 Peugeot 404 Cabriolet ...
Reply to
Eu Gra

nope my apologies

absolutely, but i recently heard of cat removed from an mg b for exactly that reason (the car is leaving california) ..

Reply to
Eu Gra