strange sound on first to second gear NEED HELP!!!

Hi There,

I just bought Toyota corolla seca 1995 auto (timing belt has been replaced already on 148000). it has done 178000. it is running smooth except, when pull the accelerator like on 1-2nd gear (auto gear i assume) a strange sound appears for about 1-3 seconds. I have also noticed the sound when you are inclining (going up) on a road or pull the accelerator harder to get good speed. sound stay 1-2 sec some time

3-5 sec

Sound: looks to me like some metal parts are in the friction. Sound appears from the bottom part of the car

I would really appreciate if some one please help me out with this situation.

cheers

Regards, Faraz Rana Managing Director / Design Consultant DEZIGNO [Print | Multimedia | Web]

- A U S T R A L I A - snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

faraz

As Ray will say, "Sounds are very hard to diagnose without hearing them..."

And they are. Can you decribe it more? Is it a rasping, a rattling, a grinding, a 'shearing', etc?

I have a Subaru with AWD, and the best way to describe how it sounds is like a rattlesnake! It's one of the gears in the transfer case that wears down.

Here's what I do for that: I put in something called SeaFoam for transmissions. HOWEVER, I know what that sound is, and know that although not a real good 'fix', the SeaFoam will keep it from getting worse.

In your case, see if you can tell us better the sound, and then see if someone is familiar with it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hi There,

Thanks for the quick reply. the sound i can describe is like "ggggggggggggggzzzzzzzzzz" or "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrr"came only for 1-2 seconds and appears when you pull the accelerator a bit harder. usually on 1-2nd gear.

Thanks for all your help!

cheers Faraz

Reply to
faraz

Perhaps Ray can help with this one.

The only time I have experienced this type of sound was with a couple of Chrysler mini-vans I have had here in the US, and what that is is the solenoids that control the transmission.

I have two cars with ATs, one is a Toyota, and it has solenoids, but they don't make this noise. Interesting, because Chrysler often uses Aisin transmissions, just like Toyota (at least in the Jeeps, anyway)

Is there any kind of slippage or hesitation when this happens? Also, when was the last time a tranny serive was done (Filter and fresh ATF)? Have a look at the dipstick; is the fluid brown (or Black?!) and does it smell burnt?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup, sounds are difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand. The OP mentioned that the sounds occur when the transmission is getting ready to shift, which implies that it occurs at higher engine RPM. Check the heat shields around the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, and underbody to make sure none are loose or resonating. If it is resonating, give the shield a rap with a hammer to put small dents in it.

Rev the engine while in neutral or park and see if the noise occurs. If it does, then it is unlikely to be the transmission or drivetrain. Check accessory drive belt tension and check the timing belt tension. A bad tensioner or improperly tensioned timing belt can cause engine noise. Check power steering fluid level and see if you notice any unusual movement of the alternator pulley. Check for coolant leaks under the front of the engine near the timing cover and check the coolant level. If there are coolant leaks, check the water pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Everyone,

The problem has been diagnosed. It is the exhaust that is making noise on the bottom of the car. when the RPM goes up while driving or load on the engine, it give you a sound "zzzzzzzzzz or ghrrrrrrrrrrr". I will ask mechanic to fix it.

thanks for all your help and kind suggestions.

Thanks!

Regards, Faraz Rana Managing Director / Design Consultant DEZIGNO [Print | Multimedia | Web]

- A U S T R A L I A - snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

faraz

Faraz,

Thank you for the update. It sounds like my first guess, an exhaust heat shield, is making the noise.

Reply to
Ray O

Forogot about those! Never really had a Toyota that had that problem. Did have a Honda (Had One Never Did Again...) and they were notorious for loose heat shields! My Service Manager's advice? "Remove the heat shield..."

Reply to
Hachiroku

The problem with removing heat shields is that whatever was being shielded from the heat tends to get burned.

A few taps with a hammer usually solves buzzing heat shields.

Reply to
Ray O

I agree with you Ray O, My mechanic said the same thing some hammer shot :)

cheers every one

faraz!

Reply to
faraz