1996 Explorer XLT AWD V8 Success Story

I'm posting this message to help other DIY's who get this same trouble code. Couldn't find the info I needed in this newsgroup. So I'm posting it to help others whe get these same codes.

I went to get my explorer smogged. Wouldn't pass because the CEL was on. The tech pulled the following trouble codes:

PO153 PO141

PO153 is the 1st O2 sensor on bank 2 (driver side before the cat) PO141 is the 2nd O2 sensor on bank 1 (passenger side where cylinder 1 is, after the cat)

The 1st sensor on bank 2 was easy to replace (on the driver's side).

The 2nd sensor on bank 1 is where I ran into problems. I could loosen the sensor, but there was no way to get my hand up on top of the transmission to unplug it. Not saying it can't be done. If your hands are small enough you might be able to reach it. Or, if you're an escape artist or something.

Anyhow, I found an access hole just above the transmission. In order to get it, you can remove the center console inside the cab, pull the carpet back and remove the access cover. Very easy to do, actually. To remove the center cosole, pop the front cover off, just under the A/C controls. Remove the two bolts that fasten it to the dash. Loosen and unplug the big rectangular plug, with the bolt in the middle of it. Should only take about

5 minutes to do this. Then the entire console should slide backwards and can be removed. It took me about 1.5 hours to figure this out.

Once you remove the access cover under the carpet, its very easy to reach the plugs for the O2 sensors.

I replaced both sensors and have gone through at least three warm up cycles. Seems to have taken care of the problem. It passed smog and so far no CEL.

Has anyone else had to remove the center console to replace the 02 sensors?

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
Byron Jones

HI Byron, I replaced the 02 sensor on my 97. It is much easier to get at if you remove the console, the carpet, and the access door. That will get you to one of the 02 sensors. I think the other s can be removed from under the car. You can get a special tool form Auto Zone. Hope his helps. PS The 02 sensor didn't solve my P0420 code problem. I've heard that the dealer can set the thresh hold lower so the code doesn't keep coming on

Reply to
hitchy