Vehicle LIcense

Hi,

I have a pre 1960 MG. When I got it, there was a 1997 'tax disc'. I understand that the 'tax' is free, but I can't find anything on the DVLA site.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to be legal please? Apply for a normal disc?

Thanks.

Paul.

Reply to
pauls

You should find that the car is registered as "historic vehicle" - on both the V5 and the old tax disc. In this case, it's a simple matter of going to the post office as normal and filling in the V10 form, putting "Historic vehicle" as the taxation class in q2, for which the fee is nil.

If the car has never been registered as a historic vehicle you have to apply for a change of taxation class, which IIRC needs to be done at your local VLO. It's on the same V10 form

but see note B aboutdetails being different.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk" writes

Do you have the new V5C to replace the old V5 form? If you do then you register it as normal. (In the 'Historic Vehicle' class).

If you only have the V5, then you'll have to ring Swansea (which is a hassle in itself), and find out how to get the replacement certificate.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

You license it like anything else - the same documentation is required. The only difference is you have to pay £0.00. And get a receipt for it. :-)

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Thanks for the answers - yes, upon checking I find it's on a V5C already, so it's off to the PO for a V10.

Cheers everyone,

Regards,

Paul.

snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
pauls

One of life's little pleasures, that. I do enjoy taking the bits of paper to the Post Office to get a free tax disc for my car and my daughter's car. For some reason they insist on giving you a receipt for, as you say, £0.00. Hadn't thought of it before, but next year I'm tempted to write them a cheque for £0.00 in exchange.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Wandering O/T - In the early 1970s in Kent, there was an item in the local paper. Somebody got a gas bill for £0.00, so they ignored it. Then they got the red reminder for the same amount, and finally the threat to cut off the supply if the outstanding amount wasn't paid. So he sent a cheque for £0.00 because "our computer expects a record of payment, sir" and it cleared his outstanding bill. But the Gas accountants then paid the cheque for £0.00 into their bank along with all the others received that day. The bank rejected the £0.00 cheque as an invalid amount, and then refused to accept the whole batch because the count of cheques did not tally with the control total.

You can imagine the glee as the local reporter wrote up his column, can't you!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren