Washing cars in hard water areas

I have always lived in hard water areas and for the past 30 odd years I've put up with the ever present threat of white marks on dark paintwork if I don't manage to leather off the tap water before it starts to evaporate. I've tried various carwash additives to little effect and even a rinse with rainwater does not seem to do much.

All ideas or recommendations gratefully received

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Presumably you don't want someone to say 'move'....

Seriously though I have seen various water softener gadgets on the market over the years - I think their main aim was to extend kettle life - but I don't have any makers names.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Most - that work - do so by adding salt. Whether this would matter or not is up to you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get a water butt and collect rain water.

Peter Hill

... mmm ... not strictly true.

Ion exchange Water softeners have a 'bed' (canister really) of active resin that the calcium ions get 'hooked' onto as they pass through. Eventually the active resin gets exhausted, and has to be recharged by passing common salt solution though it. During the recharge the resin releases the calcium ions in preferance for the sodium ions. The softener has two distinct phases: a/ 'Normal Use' where hard water passes through losing calcium ions on the way and becomes 'soft'. b/ 'Recharge', where saline solution is pumped through the canister to waste flushing the calcium down the drain, this is followed by a purge with fresh water to wash the saline from the canister. During the recharge cycle the softener is off line and water cannot be drawn from it.

Thus if it is working properly at no time does the salty water come out on the 'treated' side.

Andrew Mawson (who literally buys his salt by the lorry load and treats 4 tonnes of water a day) Bromley, Kent, UK

Reply to
Andrew Mawson