Washing car in the rain?

My neighbour reckons that the best time to wash the car is in the rain as it softens up the dirt and rinses the car shampoo off as well, saving you the trouble. Sounds all very well but I cant recall seeing anyone out washing their car in the rain. Is he onto something? Sounds like I could get my car done in

Reply to
Richard Blackwood

I do, if I get the chance, but then I live in an extremely hard water area (Norfolk). Ideally, I start washing the car before the rain gets too heavy. I wash the car as usual (esp in Winter), as the rain doesn't really get everywhere, but then let the rain rinse the hard water away, leaving a deposit-free finish when it eventually dries out. Only thing it saves in my case is shammying to avoid hard water deposits.

I guess most people wouldn't go out to wash their car in the rain because (a) They would get wet (b) People might think they were daft.

Wearing a waterproof and not giving a monkeys what those of restricted intellectual capacity are thinking takes care of those issues :-)

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

The message from "Richard Blackwood" contains these words:

On the rare occasions I wash my car I usually do it between showers if I can.

Reply to
Guy King

The idea is right.....but the most sensible thing is to wash the car in the dry...but first rinse the car to get a film of water on it.

Putting a soapy sponge straight onto a dirty car just makes the grit score the paint. Pre-rinsing might not be eco friendly but...hey...I'm not on a meter yet!

Reply to
Tox O'Grady

I do, on its rare bi-annual wash (if its lucky !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Even better - first use pressure washer to cut away some of the dirt, safely.

Stuff like flies, bird poo, etc.

Prevents the cutting paint bit.

Reply to
T.

Feel so lucky to have a pressure wash at work.

-- R

Cetainly works for me. Makes the odious job much easier!

Reply to
Peat