What branch of car is this

Hi there,

there is so far no one who can help me, maybe here it's possible, and someone knows.

I do own an old picture of my grandparents house,

the photo was taken in september of 1949In front of their house are some people which are not familiar to me, only myfather 2. from right, and my grandma 1. from right. Its about the car they stand around, in that days in Kerkrade, a small coalminers village in the south of Netherland, certainly not a common happening. The car has a dutch license plate with the number GZ 5200 so it stands for the province of Noord Holland. It would be fun to known the owner at that time.

But the car, someone said it's probably English, maybe some of you want to look on my simple homepage and give me a hint on that car please.

Thx, Joep.

Reply to
Joep ©

Snip.

It is difficult to be certain, but it could well be a pre WWII Morris Ten.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Snip.

It is difficult to be certain, but it could well be a pre WWII Morris Ten.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

So many different car makers about that time, built cars that outwardly looked very similar, but I don't think it's british. Fiat would be my guess. Many if not most british family cars built around that time. Austin, Morris, Singer etc, had parallel sides to the radiator grill. It might just be the photo, but the radiator grill of the car in the pic, appears to be slightly wider at the top than the bottom. IIRC, that slightly tapered grill was a distinguishing feature of Fiat cars of that era. Would make sense IMO as the pic was taken in the Netherlands. Mike.

Given that it's the Netherlands . Many of the cars built around that time during that

Reply to
Mike G

Something about that bonnet flask makes me think Opel Rekord.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Yes. I too guessed Opel, since although the shape is Morris, the grille isn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Seems a good guess, there must have been quite a few left after Holland was liberated. Unless export versions were different to domestic Morris

10's the two inverted V's in the grill are certainly not a Morris feature. The tyres seem to be "oversize" this was often a feature of cars supplied to the military and tends to reinforce the Opel option.
Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Richard H Huelin ( snipped-for-privacy@planefacts.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Doesn't look much like any of the Opels illustrated - it's newer than the one at the top of the page, older than the last one, so it's definitely the right era - but the grille just doesn't seem to tie with any of those. The Rekord doesn't seem to have been a 30s badge, either.

The wheels seem to be reminiscent of the Morris 8 "easikleen" ones to me, though?

The pair of inverted Vs could be thought to say Citroen - it isn't.

Could it be a Morris with an aftermarket grille on?

Reply to
Adrian

Hi there,

its fun looking for that car, maybe it is indeed a Morris Ten, but what about the steering wheel ? On the picture that I have its on the left side, doesn't this make a English car impossible ?

Joep.

Reply to
Joep ©

I am pretty sure its a Hillman Minx 1936 onwards

see

and

dilbert

Dunno, but IMO it increases the chances, that it's a european car. So, despite the apparent consensus that it's a Morris 10, I still reckon it's a Fiat. If I had to choose a british car though, the shape is almost identical to a

1937 Austin 10 saloon, but the radiator grille still looks wrong. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Morris 10's had a chrome grill.

Reply to
me

Don't know but I know a man/men who might. write an email to Joris Bergsma who runs prewarcar.com and ask him to put his readers to the test. his email is snipped-for-privacy@prewarcar.com

Andy

Reply to
Splashlube

31278

1937 Minx was my first thought, but the bulging boot didn't come in until 1939, by which time the front had changed (twice). On closer inspection, the bonnet, grille and bumpers are slightly wrong as well. The headlights have vaguely GM look and I'm sure I've seen those sidelights before somewhere, but not on anything made over here. It may be a just pre-war Austin that had a front-end prang and was rebuilt by a local man using whatever came to hand as the correct bits would have been rather hard to come by.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Its a 1937 on Minx !!!!

Reply to
dilbert

"Joep ©" schreef in bericht news:4087ff16$0$10303$ snipped-for-privacy@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl...

Hi there,

I got a mail, in what is suggested that the Car is a Morris 10/4 built somewhere between 1938 en 1946 That because of 1946 and upwards the radiator would be more round shaped. The car has steering on the left so it must be delivered directly to Europe, rhe rear whealcap is missing (both obvious) and possible the rear 'buffer" missing, and also that the car has a sunshine roof.

Can it be correct ?

Greetz .... Joep

Reply to
Joep ©