What car is this? - sorry without the attached file

Has someone any idea what car this is please. Some may have owned one :)

Rob

My uninformed guess would be Renault, with that coal-skuttle bonnet.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Renault, possibly Edwardian, but not an expert so wouldn't like to be more precise.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Rob (Rob ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Third vote for a Renault of some type, I'd hazard a guess at 19teens. The bonnet & radiator is a dead giveaway as to the marque.

Reply to
Adrian

Aye, I've just been doing a web trawl without much success. The mudguards look wrong, but were probably a modification. Mind you, Arrol-Johnstons had similar looking fronts and similarly hefty mudguards...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

IIRC it would have had a single headlamp. Ideal for the bloke with the hat.

GMacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

While several makers used this layout at the beginning of the 1900's, one would normally bet on Renault because they made more cars this way than just about everyone else put together and they did it for longer. But in this case I agree with Willy because of the actual positioning of the radiator. Renault and most others put it right up against the dashboard, whereas Arrol-Johnston had a vestigial scuttle in between the two, like the car in the photo.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Having a clue, I did an image search in google and found this.

This has a picture of the Arrol - Johnston 1913 which is looking very similar. It does have that space between the radiator and the screen. Although the front guards look as though they have been cut short.

Rm

Reply to
Rob.

I'd agree with the Arrol-Johnston. They had a rectangular header tank to the radiator, unlike Renault's arched style.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have also asked the - Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

which only meets once a month.

But googling images of the Arrol-Johnson they seem to fit.

rob

Reply to
Rob.

Although possibly not the exact model but this is an ad from an early motoring booklet publication date unknown but very early.

in the photo there is a hurricane lamp hanging off the front guard

The car would be dated around 1918/1922 and the owner was a sniper during the first world war.

rm

Reply to
Rob.

Placing the car up on the Surry Vintage Vehicle Society

They have come back with the suggestion that it is a 1912 Arrol-Johnson

15.9HP

Thanks to all for pointing me in the correct direction of it being a Arrol-Johnson.

What I had not realized was the amount of car imports into Australia in the early 1900's.

rob

Reply to
Rob.

Well, they had to get them from somewhere. For a considerable part of the country the only viable alternative means of transport was the camel and they had been importing those as well.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

The Glasgow Transport Museum has an excellent - probably the definitive - collection of early Scottish cars. It might be worth contacting them for further information.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Interesting cemetery at Bourke NSW, there are quite a few camel drivers buried there - Afghans - from the early years of settlement.

Reply to
Rob.

The camels, on the other hand, have multiplied and there are now - allegedly - more wild camels in Australia than any other country on the planet.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson