Wheel tightening torque (Triumph GT6)

Hi

I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.

Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts

Thanks for any help

FrankG

1973 Triumph GT6 1951 MM Minor
Reply to
FrankG

a few seconds with google shows: " The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

ISTR that there's a possible problem with doing that as the wheels need to be supported by the central boss rather than just the wheel nuts. No doubt someone will be along who can shed more light on the subject...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The boss is for centralisation rather than support and not all cars use the feature, The theory dictates the joint between the wheel and the hub is a friction the studs shouldn't have any significant shearing or bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace. It is however essential to the wheel nuts which seat properly in the wheel.

Reply to
Zontag

Aren't GT6 studs 3/8" unf -- 45 lb.ft would be nearer the mark

Reply to
Zontag

Why the / need / to use a proper "spyder" wheel brace and not the one supplied with the car when new (or similar) ?

The things people come out with....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I don't recall the right value, but that sounds _way_ over the top for a Triumph.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Been looking through my collection of old 'Motor Trader' data sheets. Unfortunately by the time the GT6 came out the magazine had dropped wheel nut torques off its list. However previous Triumphs specified 38-42 lb.ft. for 3/8" UNF studs and 55-60 lb.ft. for 7/16" UNF ones. 80 lb.ft. would require wheel studs made from 75 ton steel (quite apart from what it might do to the wheel) which IMHO is a trifle unlikely and just shows that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

HTH

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I very much doubt it. The torque for modern 12mm wheel studs is normally in the

66 to 75 ft lb region. That would put an 11.1mm stud at about 60 ft lbs based on the same grade material and similar thread pitch.
Reply to
Dave Baker

It's 66 lb.ft on an SD1 which has IIRC 7/16th in studs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "FrankG" saying something like:

Two grunts, no fart.

Don't mention it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

I agree.

I must say though; if one is going to spout bollocks, usenet is the place to do it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Well, it will prevent putting a sideways load on the stud. Although doing this is only likely to break the wrench...

Makes the world go round, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought there was an offset issue with Sprint wheels on a Spit/Herald - something about the callipers fouling? Sorry to be alarmist and vague but I'd prefer to be safe when it comes to wheels, kinda fundamental to motoring :-)

Also the advantage of a spyder brace is it puts a much lower sheering force on the stud when tighening/slackening.

Reply to
Zontag

this was cut from :

R0AD WHEEL STUD AND NUT : DOLOMITE SPRINT An 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter road wheel stud, Part Number UKC 5475 - and nut, Part Number UKC 5476 - have been introduced on the Dolomite Sprint model. These replace the 9.5 mm (3/8 in) diameter road wheel stud, Part Number 158729 - and nut, Part Number UKC 0849 - which were used previously. The 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter stud and nut were incorporated at Commission Number VA 17924. The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft).

they seem fairly genuine in their info

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

[..]

Seems more than a touch on the high side, IMO. Best place to ask is probably on one of the Triumph club's web forums. The TDC would be good, but it isn't a Dolly, so maybe Club Triumph would be more appropriate in this case. Plus as someone else mentioned, there might be offset differences to take into account.

Reply to
Stuffed

There is a problem in that the alloy wheel has to be supported by the centre spigot- its not supported by the alloy nuts there only to hold the wheel against the hub.

The caliper issue maybe another don't know.

rm

Reply to
Rob

My Sprint manual says Road Wheel to Hub 3/8 UNF stud 48 ft/lbs these are alloy nuts as well BTW.

Sprint wheels are mounted,supported and aligned using the centre spigot and not the nuts. Nuts only hold the wheel against the hub in this instance.

The above maybe correct also for the 7/16 UNF - but my thinking an extra 32 ft/lbs is an awful lot if you have alloy nuts.

rm

Reply to
Rob