Where To Buy..

Moggie main bearing shells?

30 - 37 quid a set for 6 bits of bent metal seems a bit extortionate to me, especially when other old 3 bearing engines I've played with have been nearer 10 - 20 quid!

However, the engine could really do with them, as the old ones are showing the copper in places. The crank's lightly scored as well, so I've done the big ends to try and keep the oil pressure up as much as possible. It doesn't matter too much if it goes snap, as there's a pile of engines to go through, and the car when done won't be a high mileage machine, but I like to at least pretend to do a job properly, even if the owner of the Moggie doesn't!

Reply to
Stuffed

Don't waste your money. I've never found changing bearing shells alone to work - unless they are already perfect. Despite being the softer metal, they wear at about the same rate as the crank - but it doesn't wear evenly.

I'd price up an exchange crank if you've got spares - you might find the complete price little different from bearings alone - and the job's then done properly.

FWIW, it's easy enough to change the crank on a Minor without removing the engine - take off the gearbox and timing cover instead.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've had luck with changing big end shells in the past, but yeah, alot of the time there's as much wrong with the big turny bit as there is with the curved non turny bits.

When given the chance, I like to replace shells simply as prevention, but this engine seems to be a bit beyond prevention, and reaching damage limitation really :(

About 70 quid IIRC, but that might have been for a different engine, I seem to be playing with lots of old stuff at the moment, it all blurs after a while!

Thing is, it's not my car, so I can't even blame myself for being tight on this one. It needs to be done as cheaply as possible due to circumstance that is far too long winded to go into here, but I'm trying to get the balance between cheap and worth doing.

:) I like the sound of that, although right now there's a chassis roped to a wall, a cab (it's a pickup) waiting to be finished, and other bits liberally scattered everywhere, so access isn't a problem at the moment!

The plan seems to be get the engine together and sort of running OK, finish the chassis and body off, sort the suspension, get it all put together, then start going through the old engines and find one that's a better starting point to rebuild.

Still, it's a pleasant distraction from worrying about the noises my Triumph's engine makes at the moment, even if it is far too bloody hot to be lumping chunks of iron around.

Reply to
Stuffed

Check out

they have a "frequent buyers club" that seems to offer a good discount, it's years since I've owned a Moggy. I've no financial interest in this place but I do know the guy who wrote the web site :-)

Excellent site, thanks! :)

£16.50 is a little better than 30 odd quid for the bearing shells, and the other bits look quite reasonable too.
Reply to
Stuffed

Watch the VAT, prices are all shown net for some reason, I thought it was an error but the webmaster says MGM specified it that way so there must be a reason for it. Just use the basket and it'll add it all up for you with VAT

It's a dammed sight easier to remove the engine than bugger about under the car removing the gearbox and then working upside down on the crank ! Even easier if the bumper and front panel are removed, there is no real need to use an engine crane either.

Reply to
Jerry.