1984 Corvette opinions

I've been there done that, looking for another. They're great! Least cost to buy, and no less reliable than a Toyota.

Most problems people have with these are from their screwing with it and trying to make it something it isn't.

Daily driver, sure. Race car, no.

I remember the night I brought my 84 home. Kept walking out to the garage, looking, smile, back in the house...

I had a Vette, I didn't have a lease obligation, nor a mortgage on it. It was all mine.

Johnny...this is your conscience speaking...buy it. You won't go wrong, and if it has problems...sell it. And as for your brother...I wonder what he'd say if it were his friend wanting to sell it.

-GeorgeC RED/RED 92 C4 (with the gawd awful LT-1)

(BTW, there's one to really stay away from, the early 90's LT-1 engine)

Maddog wrote:

Reply to
George

What's wrong with the LT-1 other than the optispark? Less that, pretty much standard small-block Chevy, which is to say a thoroughly tested design.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

The LT1 is a hell of an engine. Some have had OptiSpark issues, but other than that its a great engine. Now having said that if you are hot rodding an Gen2 LT1 it can get more expensive because many parts are specific to it.

Reply to
RicSeyler

I don't know if I'd buy a 2400 mile '84 for 19 grand..... There is a lot of things that deteriorate with age. Not with mileage or use. Dunno. I just don't think I would. I think I would look for a decent c5 iffin I was out to spend 19K.

Reply to
RicSeyler

You might want to consider a Honda S2000 if you want to avoid having "a car ..constantly in the shop." On the other hand, as a one-time Vette owner back in the late 60s -- through the mid 70s I found the old C3s of that era pretty reliable and relatively easy to work on. My 71 454 roadster was near bulletproof -- wish I still had it when you consider I paid around 6,200 for it new.

Reply to
tww

Makes me think I'm not asking enough for the mint 87 I have for sale with

18,000 miles.
Reply to
truebluebowtie

I was specifically referring to the Opti-Spark.

Mine went out at about 125K. There just had to be a better way to do that.

Other than LT-1 valve noise(its a 92) it's been (knock on simulated wood grain) fine. OK, alternator expired at 92K. No big deal, 20 minutes to fix.

The only real issue with my 92 was a failure of teh clear coat on the drivers door and a spot on the hood. But it's a 15 year old car this month, I'll make allowances.

But my point on the 84 is that for the money spent, its fun. And the cross-fire is no big deal to make work right.

If a person wants to try the size out, and not spend a lot, its great. If you aren't a motor-head, you may want to take out a mortgage on a newer one.

But an 84 is something most can write a check for.

But sorry to mislead on the LT-1. It hauls fine. This one is still pretty tight, passes Texas smog test with no issues.

-GeorgeC

RicSeyler wrote:

Reply to
George

Hello All:

I have the oppurtunity to buy from the original owner a 1984 Corvette. She has all the history and documents on the car, the original paint is beautiful, the interior is pristine, everything works including the AC and DELCO tape deck. She has the glass top and body color top. The car just turned over 61K miles. Her husband joked that it has never been driven in the rain, nor ran through a car wash. Color is light blue; paint and body is pristine without a crack, chip, or blemish. It has been driven by a mature women only. Never been in an accident.

My brother, who has owned a 1972, 1979, 1984, and 1989 Corvettes does not have much good to say about the 1984, and does not like the Cross Fire V8 at all. He claims that I would be better off with a high mileage 1989 that needs work than a low mileage cream puff 1984 that needs nothing for about the same price.

So, I am looking for a few opinions.

What is a realistic offering price for this car? I have been told anywhere from $1400 to $5000 from the local Corvette club president (who also believes that the 1984 is not a good car).

I have alwyas wanted a Corvette, and value this particuliar car due to it's one owner, low mileage, and well cared for history. My wife has been friends with this women for several years, so we trust what she is telling us about the car. Most C4 Corvettes I have looked at are at

100K miles, or more, and need TLC and comestic repairs, and run in the $6000 to $14000 range depending on the year.

Thanks for any inputs! Take care, and have anice day,

Johnny

Concur with you assessment of prices for early C4s. Mid 80s with around

100k miles in the mid GA area per Auto-Trader have asking prices around ranging 10 -15k.An 85 with 2400 miles had an asking prices of 19. If you can find something nice at a good price, I would jump on it.

I don't know if I'd buy a 2400 mile '84 for 19 grand..... There is a lot of things that deteriorate with age. Not with mileage or use. Dunno. I just don't think I would. I think I would look for a decent c5 iffin I was out to spend 19K.

Reply to
ssome

'The first year of a new model is always the most valuable 30 yrs in the future =A0 ssome '

REPLY: Its usually the most problematic (at the time it comes out) too.

Reply to
dave

'The first year of a new model is always the most valuable 30 yrs in the future =A0 ssome '

REPLY: Its usually the most problematic (at the time it comes out) too.

Reply to
dave

The answer is simple - don't buy the first year when new. Give them 4 or 5 years to find the bugs, fix them, and then buy it used.

Does anyone really think '53s, '63s, '68s, '84s, and '97s are running around with the production issues they had today?

First, any daily driver at the time would have had the dealer fix under warranty all the bugs and goofs in the first year or two. Second, any restored car would have had those issues fixed.

ssome '

REPLY: Its usually the most problematic (at the time it comes out) too.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3234.bay.webtv.net...

Reply to