2000 LS-1 Engine Replacement

What other short-blocks / crate engines might be used? Previously reported as porous engine block on 2000 Camaro SS. Research has indicated this aluminum block engine is scarce & there have been a lot of problems with similiar failures with this same engine. Personaly the car is great - I will not put money into the same design aluminum block.

Help!

Reply to
bob

Take a look in Jegs catalogue ; you can even buy an LS7 crate . I think the price is $13,000.

Reply to
dave

The car has a $13000.00 wholesale blue book. I can't afford nor wish to spend this kind of money on the car. I truely like this car but spending more thatn the blue book is foolish.

Thx

Reply to
bob

Then go with another LS1 replacement (crate) . I think they run under $8 k. , and, might put out a bit more h.p than in 2000.

Reply to
dave

Yeah Dave, I'd be tempted to go for the crate replacement because local "asked" prices on 2000's with comparable mileage are running $ 26K for coupes and $ 28K for convertibles. >. Probably "selling" for a 1500 to 2K less. Those prices will probably tumble in another 6 months but right now the C5 market is hot.

But, this gent is gun-shy (not a good term this week) about porosity in the LS-1. What's the block-defect warranty on the crate engine? By the time he springs for the crate plus the installation labor--probably a couple of more grand, he might be better off laying out a disclosure and selling it, 'as-is' and maybe getting 9 or 10 grand for it. (Note -- this isn't an offer on my part.)

Reply to
PJ

PJ wrote: Sorry for my goof. Remembered back then checked.

This is in a Camaro SS, prior numbers not meaningful.

Will try to engage brain in future.

Reply to
PJ

I was in the queue to have the rings changed in my 2001 oil drinker when I screwed up and got into high water and trashed the engine. The water came in via the air cleaner and the sound was something you never want to hear. The good news is the car only had 10K at the time and the insurance company agree to replace the engine.

My Chevy Service Manager did the ordering and I made sure he did NOT order a 2001 engine. It was 2002 at the time so he ordered and installed a brand new crate engine shipped from the factory. It came complete with balanced clutch etc. The car now has 40K miles and has not used ANY oil between changes. As I recall the price for the factory engine was about $9K at the time

aRKay

Reply to
aRKay

'But, this gent is gun-shy (not a good term this week) about porosity in the LS-1. What's the block-defect warranty on the crate engine? By the time he springs for the crate plus the installation labor--probably a couple of more grand, he might be better off laying out a disclosure and selling it, 'as-is' and maybe getting 9 or 10 grand for it'

REPLY: GM has chosen to stick with the alum. block and heads for the LS2 and LS7 , so maybe his bad experience with his LS1 was a fluke. (?). If the gent is gun shy then he should try selling it 'as is ' with disclosure to see if someone is willing to buy it -- I think he should opt for a new LS1 crate motor with warranty and keep the car for a very long time.

Reply to
dave

I don't want to have to spend that much on this car. I like it. Thx for info.

Reply to
bob

I'm not sure how you can resolve this issue economically without going back to the original engine design. There may be a similar design cast iron truck engine that could be re-cammed that would fit the pattern and computer requirements but it would take some research to fine what you need. If I remember correctly the LS2 started out as a truck motor but I'm not sure it had a cast iron version although something makes me think it was at one time. The fellow I know that worked at the GM Powertrain plant that would know is in Florida for another month.

Personally I would have no fear of putting an LS1 back in. They are a good engine and they will have the occasional bad part in one just like everything else in this world. My '63 had a bad crank in it and it took forever to get GM to replace it, in fact the engine came in after I had made a deal with the dealer and traded in for a '64.

Good luck,

Reply to
Dad

Your comment makes sense. Not willing to spend the money, but have to, may end up with an LS6.

Thx

Reply to
bob

GM PART # 12498399 CATEGORY: Eng Asm (shipped only to local fedex hub 4 pickup) PACK QTY: 1CORE CHARGE: $0.00 GM LIST: $7,329.61 OUR PRICE: $5,130.73 DESCRIPTION: ENG KIT LS6 Service Engine with Camaro Oil Pan Kit This is a long block for a 2001-03 corvette RPO LS6 with 5.7L and 405 horsepower, which includes a Camaro oil pan assembly in the crate. Technical Notes: This engine assembly includes an aluminum block, aluminum heads, crankshaft, rods, pistons, valve train, camshaft, valve covers, and an oil pan. It does not include intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, balancer, flywheel, throttle body, or any electronics. "Emission legal for Corvette LS6 option only."

Reply to
Dad